Can a iMac play SWTOR

Discussion in 'iMac' started by corbyone, Dec 19, 2011.

1. corbyone macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a new computer and I'm considering a mac. I'm looking at the 21.5" w/ 2.7 i5 and the 6770M. I'm not a hard core gamer but would like to be able to play Star Wars: The Old Republic on medium to high settings with no lag. Is it possible?

Has anyone played the beta or Early Access on your iMac and what was the game play like?

Thanks.

2. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Factor in that you would need to run Windows in either bootcamp or a VM. The iMac can certainly play it but if PC games are your goal then a PC will work much better.

3. corbyone thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know that I need to use bootcamp and run Windows to play it. PC games are not my goal. I really want a well rounded computer that will be good for some light photo/video editing, but mostly internet, email managing iTunes (we have iphones and ipad, already) I just want to be able to play SWTOR on occasion but not have it lagging or look like total crap either. I'm not a hardcore gamer.

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

From what I have read, that system should play SWTOR nicely. I know some people run it within Parallels with success, so Bootcamp would be even better.

I think that is with most effects turned on.

They made the game to not require the top of the line systems to enjoy.

5. leman macrumors G3

It should run SWTOR just fine.

6. The Hockaday. macrumors member

I'm hoping its a bit better optimized soon. my late 09 iMac struggles in some areas...hopefully upgrading to a 5870 or 5750 will help with that.

7. vmiku914 macrumors newbie

Already playing TOR on my late 2009 iMac with boot camp and it works great with high graphic settings. I use my Mac for gaming.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

8. The Hockaday. macrumors member

Yeah works great for me too now. I had to set all my settings to high ( preset ) and turn off shadows. now i'm always 50-100 fps...low dips to 30 sometimes. :D:apple:

9. corbyone thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the specs of the macs you guys are using, thanks.