iPad Can a Jailbroken ios5 iPad be put back to Factory ios5? Always?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Turnpike, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I'm on the hunt for a nice Retina display Verizon 64GB iPad 3. They're hard to find, and when I do, they are often Jailbroken ios5.1.1 or something like that... is the jailbreaking the REASON that its still at ios5? Because ios5 is what it takes to jailbreak, and then they didn't update the system since?

Can I always count on a jailbroken ios5 device (iphone or ipad) to be able to be put back to factory Apple ios5?

I have no interest or knowlege about jailbroken devices, just a device that's still on ios5.

Thanks in advance!

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

They may want to use windowed multitasking via the absolutely great Quasar, hence the stay with 5.1? (Quasar is, unfortunately, incompatible with everything iOS6/7.)

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you restore/unjailbreak any iPad from the iPad 2 onwards, you will have no choice but to update to the latest version of iOS (iOS 7).

The only device that can do what you want is the original iPad, as the highest firmware compatible with that device is iOS 5.1.1.

4. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Is this true? If I buy a ios5.1.1 device that's jailbroken, I can't make it back to Apple factory ios5 settings?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Nope. When you try to restore, it will restore to the most current version. All devices starting with the iPad 2 use the A5 chip. Those devices cannot be downgraded.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A5 devices, maybe A6, that are running iOS 5.X can always restore to iOS 5. Pending that they are on iOS 5 and you have the complete SHSH blobs with APT ticket and the last time they where restored or updated was done through iTunes, not OTA or from the factory. The process is call a re-restore. Read more about it here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/33546509336/restoration-reinvigoration

7. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

A6 devices started on ios 6

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That they did. The 3rd gen iPad got me slightly confused on that point.

9. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Just to be clear, because it's not a commonly known fact unless you bought one around that time... some iPad 3's with Retina were sold with iOS5 on them from factory- IOS6 came out a few weeks AFTER the iPad 3 did. There aren't a lot, but there are a few. Usually there's about 5 or so on Ebay at any one given time if you look for them (unjailbroken)... not common, but not super rare.

So if it came with ios5, was jailbroken AND NEVER UPDATED TO A NEWER VERSION, then I should be able to put it back at ios5 settings, right?

10. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

They came out in March or April of 2012 I believe with iOS 5, I think iOS 6 came out in October of 2012. I had one, I think that's when it got Siri if I'm not mistaken.

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

No, it needs to be a fresh clean restore using iTunes to utilize rerestoring. Not OTA or iOS placed from the factory

In addition, you would need SHSH blobs for 5.x (whichever version you're re-restoring to). There's no way to get them anymore so if the seller didn't already have them cached on cydia's server, you're out of luck