Can a late 2009 MBP boot from USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daigo1, Jan 28, 2017.

1. daigo1 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 MBP which just had a hard drive fail so I bought a new one, but I lost the Snow Leopard CD so I am trying to create a bootable USB on my Windows 7 computer after obtaining a .iso image of Snow Leopard and trying to use a software like Rufus to make my USB bootable, but it doesn't seem to work on the MBP (but it works on other computers). Does that mean this model doesn't support USB booting? If not, then is this computer useless since my Windows computer does not have a CD/DVD drive I can burn Snow Leopard onto?

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I've booted from USB on my 2009. However, I have only ever done this with USB drives made using DiskWarrior and OS X install created within OS X, and only with OS' newer than 10.6.8. If I still had my Snow Leopard install disk, I'd send it to you. I imagine you can probably find someone who has an extra who will.

If all else fails...
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

or you might be able to go to a place like Kinkos and rip a copy of Mountain Lion or newer onto a DVD to act as the installer (I'm not sure if you can do this with Snow Leopard or Lion since IIRC both of those were paid and used specific product keys)