Can a Leopard MBP run Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cloudsurfer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I have a 2,2 GHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. This model was released in mid-2007, when it still came with Tiger. I got mine in January of this year, with Leopard pre-installed.

Here's the thing: I want to be able to play Age of Mythology multiplayer again with my girlfriend, which is not possible in Leopard. I made a 20GB partition on both my girlfriend's MacBook as well as my own MacBook Pro.

First, I installed Tiger on the MacBook, on the 20GB partition. Everything went fine and it now perfectly boots Tiger and Leopard. I was also sucessfully able to transfer that partition to my MacBook Pro with the Disk Utility.

However, when I try to boot into that partition, my MacBook Pro gets a kernel panic. It also panics when I try to boot from the MacBook Tiger discs. This leads to my question: is a Leopard machine able to run Tiger?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. In general you cannot run Tiger on any machine that was never shipped with Tiger. This is because Tiger does not contain the drivers necessary for the hardware in that machine. That's why you get kernel panics.

3. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Yes, but the model MBP I use shipped with Tiger until Leopard came out. So I assume there are drivers in Tiger for my MacBook Pro.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In that case you need to get the correct version of Tiger. It's likely the Tiger DVD that shipped with those machines contains the drivers, but the retail DVD does not. Perhaps you can pick one of those DVDs up in eBay...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The models are different. The MBP changed early this year. To verify, go to:
    :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview > Model Identifier
    Do that on both MBPs and you'll see yours is MacBookPro4,1 and hers is 3,1.

6. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

This sucks. If only Macsoft would release a multiplayer patch for AoM, but no. Now I have to look into a second hand Tiger Mac just to play it with anyone else.

7. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

My MacBook Pro model numer is 3,1. I do not have a Penryn MBP, it's the same model that shipped with Tiger earlier, except mine shipped with Leopard.

8. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I'm not positive but I think you have to install 10.4 directly onto your MBP instead of just transferring the partition. When you transfered the partition I imagine in transfered the macbook's graphics drivers instead of the MBP drivers which you need.

You can either obtain a set of 10.4 recovery disks for Santa Rosa MBPs off of ebay or modify the macbook's disk so that they'll work in your MBP.

EDIT: oops, shouldn't reply to threads in old tabs without refreshing.