Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chinda81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I hope this isn't too confusing but I don't know much about hooking any of this up yet. I'm thinking about buying a Mac desktop, Mac laptop and a Windows desktop. I will be giving them all (Broadband) or dsl.

1. Can a Windows desktop, Mac laptop and a Mac Desktop (the Mac desktop will be in a different room), share the same internet connection? How?

2. Can a Mac laptop and a Windows desktop share the same internet connection? How?

3. If any of the above is possible will this affect the internet speeds if all 3 use the internet at the same time?

...If you would like to know, I will be using the Windows desktop for gameing, the Mac laptop for everything else but gameing. The Mac desktop will be used by another user who will use it for email internet surfing and ms office type software.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
1 & 2, yes.. with a router (wireless or otherwise)
3, yes.. your overall bandwidth will take a hit according to how much data is being used by each computer.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Yes they can. If you wish to use wireless you'll need a wireless router, if you need wired connections you'll just need a router... if you plan on using both get a wireless router with sufficient ethernet jacks in it or a wireless router and a switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.