Can a Mac Pro make a 4K monitor retina?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Haswell, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Haswell macrumors regular

I thinking about getting a Mac Pro with a 4K monitor and I would like to set the monitor to Best (Retina) in the Display System Preferences.

Would this be possible or will be forced to use the full native resolution of the monitor?

2. mjfutures macrumors member

mjfutures

Yes it is possible to use "best for display" or retina. I have a 4K dell p2715q with the mac pro 2013 and can do this. I personally use 2560x1400 for day to day use.

3. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

I have been trying to get people to post successful set ups for the classic Mac pro on this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1838956 but 4K on the older Mac's are sketchy at best... On the new Mac Pro I've heard that there's been improvements.

4. mjfutures macrumors member

mjfutures

Oh, right ... unless this is a Mac Pro 2013 with Yosemite I can't say how good 4k works. With the new mac pro and a 4k display in my 4 weeks of use I haven't had a single issue (personally). Good luck.

5. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

Will I have to use an app such as Display Maestro to switch between the full native resolution and Best (Retina)?

6. mjfutures macrumors member

mjfutures

7. Haswell thread starter macrumors regular

Is 2560x1400 Best (Retina) or is that More Space in the Display System Preferences?

8. mjfutures macrumors member

mjfutures