Can a Mac Pro use unbuffered RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by statikcat, Sep 29, 2007.

1. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Is it possible to use unbuffered ram in a Mac Pro at all?

I ask because I am likely picking up a MP today and I plan on ordering fully buffered RAM online. No store around here carries buffered.. so I was wanting to buy some unbuffered for a few days to get me by since the stock 1gb from Apple will not allow me to work on my projects.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Absolutely not.

The Mac Pro can use 667 MHZ ECC Fully-Buffered DIMMs only, and are recommended to be Mac Pro specific units with a large heatsink.
    Fully-buffered DIMMs are a much different design than DDR2 ECC buffered or unbuffered memory

Also be aware that a number of FB-DIMMs are not 8-core compatible, so if you have an 8-core Mac pro or are planning to get one, make sure the FB-DIMMs are specifically 8-core compatible

3. statikcat thread starter macrumors 6502

statikcat

I knew it was not recommended but was hoping I could get by on it for a few days.

What a bummer this MP does not come with 2gb. Now I have to wait to order RAM online because MP comes unusable for my projects. I guess I will have to finish these projects on my MBP which came with 2gb ram.. go figure. Oh well don't want to turn this into a rant thread just need a quick question answered so thanks.

4. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

5. statikcat thread starter macrumors 6502

statikcat

If you order online and pay a ton for RAM. It's cool I bought it Saturday and ordered 2 more gigs from Newegg for 120$. So in a few days I will be rocking 3gb! 1gb sucks but in the end addition ram is cheap from the right place. It is more an inconvenience than anything.