Can a Macbook 5,1 (Unibody, 13") boot the 64-bit kernel?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by j-a-x, Feb 12, 2010.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I've got a MacBook 5,1 13" unibody. It's supposed to be capable of booting into the 64-bit Kernel in Snow Leopard but holding down 6 and 4 on startup does not seem to do anything. It has 64-bit EFI, a 64-bit processor, no 3rd party 32-bit extensions installed, but it still will not boot into 64-bit.

Does anybody know how to boot this machine using the 64 bit kernel?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Apple made it so the MacBooks cannot boot the 64bit kernel...even the pre-Pro aluminum MacBooks cannot.

There's no end-user benefit to having the kernel is 64-bit mode, so no worries, all programs can still run in the 64-bit space.

3. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I was sure the newest white macbooks can boot 64bit SL. It can boot 64bit 7 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hold down the 6+4 keys while booting and find out.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If you don't know, why did you bother replying ? :rolleyes:

OP, it doesn't work on the aluminium non-pro Macbooks.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I did it so the OP could start to find these simple things out for him/her self.;)

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

He said he already did that. In the very first post.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Then he already knows.

9. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

There's really no advantage. In fact, the only thing you might notice is the fact kernel_task sucks up more memory.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

There are some slight performances increasing linearly with the addition of RAM to the system above 4 GB, through the performance increases are only really noticeable when working with large quantities of RA in the Mac Pro or Xserve. It's not really worthwhile to enable the implementation of a kernel that only improves memory management on a laptop that will likely not go above ~6 GB (IIRC), and beyond that Apple has a habit of purposely taking measures like this to jive users into upgrading before they otherwise would have.

11. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I read that Aperture 3 runs better with the 64-bit kernel extensions. Maybe that's not true, but I kind of wanted to try it for myself.

Holding 6 and 4 on startup doesn't do it. So there's absolutely no way? Not even a fun hacky way? I know the hardware and EFI is capable of running 64-bit. So is there something in the software blocking it?

12. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

IIRC there is embedded code in the kernel preventing it from running on those machines, and the only fix would be a partial re-compile. I don't know that it would be worth the supposed benefits running a non-vanilla kernel on Apple hardware, as it could cause negative consequences far outweighing the original intentions.