Can a MacBook 5,2 [boot rom MB52.0088.B06] handle 8GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by infobleep, Oct 16, 2011.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Hi there

I have been reading that due to a firmware update, it has been proven that some old MacBooks can handle 8GB of RAM. However I am not sure if it applies in my case.

I have a white MacBook 5,2 (2.13Ghz). The boot ROM number is: MB52.0088.B06.

Two people have been able to confirm that they got 8GB to work with the follow boot ROM number:
    MB52.0088.B05
    http://blog.macsales.com/9102-secret-firmware-lets-late-08-macbooks-use-8gb
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3008609

So has anyone got it work or know if it will work B06? What happens if I put in 8GB. Will I just get kernel panics all the time? What about 6GB instead if that's the case?

I'm currently running out of memory as I run Windows 7 virtually and I've recently bought Aperture which also requires a enough memory not to be able to run them side by side. If I wish to upgrade to Lion, it would become an even bigger issue I imagine.

Thanks for reading

2. nicklad macrumors 6502

3. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Logic suggests that you should be ok. Your boot rom is a higher number version than the rom recommended in the macsales article - "007D" compared to your "0088" .

The article also says : "Machines with other Model IDs are not affected and don’t need an update"

ie. Macbook 5,2 should be fine.

Plus the poster above gave the OK.

I would be interested in hearing your results if you go ahead and upgrade because I'm considering a 8gb ram upgrade in the future. My macbook is also a 5,2 with a bootrom MB52.0088.B05

4. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply gumblecosby

I've not had a chance yet to to back the required hardware. I'm also going to upgrade the hard drive at the same time. I need to get the casing of my MacBook replaced first. It's got a design fault and I'm still under warranty.

Once I've had it replaced then I'll get the hardware, as I don't want to mess around before it goes off for any official repairs. The only thing delaying me in organising the repairs, is when to send it off as I use my Mac quite a lot.

Kind regards

Tim

5. jkern08 macrumors newbie

How was it?

Hi,

I am upgrading the RAM on my macbook 5,2 (MB52.0088.B06) and would like to install 8gb. I still have not found confirmation that the 8gb will work with my boot ROM number.

How did the 8gb work for you? Any problems?

The cost difference between getting 2x2gb and 2x4gb RAM is about $100. I want to make sure it'll be worth it.

6. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have a 5,2 model Macbook that I recently upgraded to 8GB, it cost me $200 here in Canada, but the overall performance gain was worth it to me. I believe I have the same boot room, and I have not experienced any kernel panics or issues at all.