Can a Macbook be moved safely after lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FoxTrotz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. FoxTrotz macrumors newbie

Just wanted to know if anyone knew of the safety features on the macbook. When I close my laptop it goes to sleep. I sometimes move it or put it in a book bag/carrying case. By doing this, is this damaging the macbook in any way? Another words, does the disc drive needle properly secure itself when in sleep mode to be moved around.

Thanks in advance.

2. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

No, the MacBook is not a portable computer and was not designed to be moved around. Moving it with the lid closed actually starts a 10-year countdown to ultimate self-destruction, and there's no way to stop it once it's started.

Yes, it's okay to move the MacBook when the lid is closed... I mean, what were you expecting?

Seriously, when the MacBook is idle/closed/whatever, it has that "Sudden Motion Impact" thing that goes on.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Once it has gone to sleep, you're fine. That's what sleep mode is for. I do this all the time with my MBP.

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

When you close the lid and the light starts to blink then you're fine.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes its fine. after the MacBook is closed and the light starts pulsating all the components are put to sleep and the session is stored to RAM. except the component (dont know which) which waits for a keyboard or mouse input to wake the MacBook.

the hard drive spindle is spun down and the MacBooks have an accelerometer that detects if its is falling and protects the hard drive. i always sleep my MacBook Pro and lug it around uni with no problems.

just make sure the light starts pulsating then it safe to move it around.

6. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

If that's the case then I find it pretty annoying to have to put my macbook to sleep everytime I want to shift from the bed to the table or vc vs.

Not to mention the wireless connection is disconnected everytime it goes to sleep and it takes about 3 times of password inputting before my router allows it to access the internet.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I take mine to and from work every day in sleep mode and have no problems whatsoever. What everyone said - it is very safe to do.

8. schatzie macrumors member

I sometimes have this problem. Sometimes I need the internet connection to stay connected. Is there anyway to change the setting so that when you close the lid, it doesn't go to sleep?

9. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Then what's the point of closing the lid? Aren't you doing this to sleep the computer and make it safer to move around? In your case, just don't shut the lid and move it.

10. secretpact macrumors 6502

http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo/
    InsomniaX does exactly what you're looking for.

11. schatzie macrumors member

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I want to close the lid and do other stuff on my desk. If I'm downloading something or running some program in the background that requires internet connection like maybe Remote Desktop, I have to keep the lid open otherwise I lose the connection. I just like to be able to close the lid sometimes, and then when I open it, my remote desktop is still there or whatever program it might be, so I don't have to reconnect and all that.

12. schatzie macrumors member

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I close my MacBook all the time...

between classes and while commuting; not a problem. Actually, if my Airport is actively searching for a connection or when it is connected, I've noticed that it eats up a whole bunch of battery. :cool:

14. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

I lol'd.

Of course it's ok to carry around a portable computer, even Windows manages that!

15. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i like to close the lid when i'm not actively using it, just to minimize dust setting in the keyboard as much as possible, but i still want to get an IM or be able to check something quickly if i need to. i've started closing the lid to about an inch or so from being fully closed, so it doesn't sleep.