Can a macbook Pro Retina be upgraded...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gpspad, Jul 17, 2014.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I see a lot of people mention having their macbook pro's upgraded.

I thought they couldn't be, can the memory or the ssd drive in a macbook pro retina be upgraded on your own on certain model years?

Not sure if you physically can't or not supposed to like jailbraking.

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Don't know if Apple Care is void if you upgrade your mid-2012/early-2013 rMBP's SSD. Until now it's the only part you can replace in a rMBP and only in these specific versions (mid-12/early-13).

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Non-retina MacBook Pros have all had upgradeable RAM and HDD. The retina models don't have upgradeable RAM, it's soldered onto the logic board. The SSD is technically upgradeable, but there are basically no aftermarket options available.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As stated the SSD is the only upgradable part and as of now, the Late 2013 models do not have aftermarket SSD's available.

5. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i believe apple's current stance is that even if you do upgrade, they won't repair a unit without your original drive, so if you do end upgrading don't sell your old drive

6. dwfaust, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

This is less the case since Transcend introduced its own line of SSDs for the first-generation rMBP.

8. Crugga macrumors regular

I think they will still honour the warranty but wont cover the replacement drive or any damage you cause by swapping it.
    But yes seems a good idea keeping the original drive.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The memory is soldered onto the logic board, the SSD can, though there's no PCIe SSDs that are comparable yet. So for all intents and purposes current rMBPs cannot be upgraded.

----------

I believe there have been instances where apple saw a non apple drive in the laptop and refused to honor the warranty. I guess its up to the tech working on the laptop

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Hmm

Not sure what some people are saying here, but the rMBP certainly have upgradeable SSDs, which are not soldered and can easily be swapped out by third party products. Some of which have been available for at least 1.5 years (OWC)

We now have two clear players in that space, OWC and Transcend, which has apparently brought some serious pricing competition to the market, essentially cutting the price overnight by about 30%+..nice for us users.

The general observation from users who have done this is that it doesn't invalidate the Apple warranty, but users who have had any problem have usually tried to put the original OEM drive BACK IN THE MACHINE before taking it in to a store. But, I THINK there is some official statement somewhere from Apple that says 3rd party drive upgrades don't invalidate other elements of the system warranty.

11. leman macrumors 604

Show us a single aftermarket SSD that can be used in a current-gen rMBP.

12. mpe macrumors regular

OWC sells SATA 6G drives for 2012 rMBP. But as far as I know there is no upgrade for pcie-based 2013 and 2014 models.

If you are lucky, you can get original Apple part but they are quite rare.

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not sure bout the 2014 models, but the references above were for 2012/2013 models as others noted.

14. leman macrumors 604

2012 models, yes. But currently, no third-party PCI-e based SSD modules are available. So I don't think that your previous statement is entirely accurate. having updates for a single generation of a product is not what I would refer to as 'easy' upgradeability.

I do hope that third-party modules will be available soon...