Can a MacBook support parallel displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by John876, Jun 24, 2008.

1. John876 macrumors newbie

I'm an apple user who turned windows and is coming back, but I'm absolutely addicted to using a parallel display with my current ThinkPad. I had an iBook a few years back, and I remember that at the time the PowerBook could support paralell displays, but the iBook couldn't. Is the same true of the MacBook, will I need to buy an MB Pro just to be able to have dual displays.

P.S. I'm not sure I have the terminology 100% right, so jsut to clarify, when I say parallell displays, I mean having your two displays each show something different.

Thanks a bunch

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

MBs do support mirroring (showing the same content on both displays) and spanning (using both as separate displays). You will be good to go.

Hopefully I got the terms right myself! But I am 100% sure about the functionality. :D

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Extended Desktop is the word.

Mirroring is correct

Yes, you are correct, the MB does support up to a 23"/24"/27" (2560x1200 or something like that resolution) monitor.

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Incorrect! The MB only supports up to 1920x1200 (link).

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Like I said, something like that. As in the monitor sizes I posted. Thanks for the link though, I am sure the OP can make good use of it.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

The MB will support an external monitor, in both open and closed mode. I think you are looking for open, though. You will need to purchase an adapter, as the macbook comes with a mini-dvi port only; you have your choice of DVI or VGA on the other end.