Can a maxed out 2017 MB play games with eGPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Winstonp, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I really like the form factor of the MB over the MBA/MBP. If I go for the 2017 maxed out (i7 1.4ghz/16gb ram) will my eGPU (chroma with rx 580) play smoothly? Will it be snappy?

2. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

The Macbook doesn't have a THUNDERBOLT port (only USB 3.x type C) so no, it can not support an external GPU the way other macbook pros or airs can.

an eGPU will not work.

3. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Oh. That's a problem. We can close this thread

4. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Yeah, it's a problem, and i can't believe apple put out a laptop with the new type-C port, that doesn't support thunderbolt.

A selling point for Apple (they made a big deal about it) was that when USB 3 was new (back in 2011), ALL the ports on the macbook pro were the same and supported it. There was no confusion about which port to use, what supports what, etc.

And then they went and did that with the 12" macbook! Same shape port as the other macs. Totally different functionality!

5. Mike Boreham, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

It's all about design priorities. The 12" MacBook was designed to be ultra portable and silent (= fanless = low power). Intel did not offer a low power chip with thunderbolt. The MacBook Air has Thunderbolt (and a fan) if Thunderbolt is essential. There are no free lunches!

6. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

I get it.

But the product itself did not need to exist. They could have refreshed the 11" macbook air and called it a day and not have to have the confusion of "this peripheral works with any mac with a USB-C port... except the 12" Retina Macbook" for the next decade (who am i kidding the keyboards will all fail before then)... err 3-4 years until they all die off.