Can a MBP do what I want?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGolfer, Oct 2, 2012.

1. FatGolfer macrumors member

Hi Folks,

I am hoping for some advice on whether the current MBP 15 inch (2.6 non-Retina) can meet my needs. I have been waiting for a new Mac Pro but as time ticks on I need an upgrade more and more.

I am considering getting the MBP and 2x27 inch monitors chained with thunderbolt instead of waiting for a new desktop. I would run this with the lid closed most of the time.

My question is will it be sufficient for:

1. Gaming on a Windows 7 Bootcamp partition on one of the monitors over thunderbolt - not extreme gaming but running the latest games at reasonable levels on one of the 27 inch monitors.
    2. Fairly heavyweight software development on OSX (database servers, web server, application servers all running alongside all the development tools such as IDEs, XCode etc.)

I worry mostly about it powering the monitors sufficiently quickly and smoothly for gaming and heating issues.

I appreciate any advice people with experience of similar setups can give me.

Thanks

2. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

3. icewing macrumors 6502

Not sure but you might want to experiment with keeping the screen open to allow for better air flow, especially while gaming.

4. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had success gaming on an external 27 inch monitor from an MBP

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi