can a mbp handle being used all day?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trance, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

I want to use my mbp as my desktop replacement. I do light stuff on it web,music,pages is it ok to use it majority of the day?

I could have gotten the desktop but i also wanted the laptop for school, i just hope it doesn't burn out on me :(

2. simsaladimbamba

The MBP can handle that, I do that and much more on my 2009 MBP and it can handle it just fine.
    Btw, even a 2006 MBP could handle that all day.

Just make sure you don't block the vents and the place has proper airflow.

3. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I figure worst case scenario you fall asleep and the laptop cooks the top layer of your lap. My dr says my skin is healing nicely, but you can still see the dis-:Dcoloration.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why would it? Who gave you those silly ideas?

Many Powerbooks G4's from 2004-2005 are still kicking around in 2011, use it all you want, you won't break it.

5. taylorswift macrumors newbie

Treat it with respect and it will return the favor.

6. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

im a first time laptop owner, i always thought laptops were more fragile.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The components are the same as in a desktop, except smaller, they can take just as much of a beating than any other computer.

Use your machine, enjoy it, don't fret over it. I've been running my MBP nearly 24/7 for the last 3.5 years, and it hasn't let me down yet.

8. simsaladimbamba

They are more fragile for physical damage, but with proper care, they can handle a beating, and due to the components being enclosed in a tight space, they are exposed to more heat, but these components are build that way, and in case they begin to get too hot, the computer shuts down. Under normal use, the MBP works between 50° and 70° C, but they can sustain heat up to 105°C for the CPU.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

You should have no problem. I often start long intensive tasks on my MBP overnight so I can go to sleep while it keeps on working, even after I have used it all day long.

Your question reminds me of a question I put to a computer manufacturer many years ago. We were about to launch a dial-up BBS on an Atari 800. I wanted to run it 24/7 so being in engineering I called Atari to ask them how it would hold up and what could I do to prevent disaster. Atari's answer .... " we don't know, we turn them on in the morning when we get to work, and turn them off before we go home. " In the end we made one mod to the 800 case, and ran our BBS 24/7 for over 8 months.

Just keep the vent areas open!

10. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

You wont have a problem. I never shut down my laptop, and usually don't even put it to sleep at night. Runs fine.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My Dad's MacBook Pro has been used for the majority of the day for work 5 days a week. Its 5 years old and its still going.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you treat it well, it will last for years, even using it all day. I've been running my MBP 12-18 hours/day, 7 days/week for 3 1/2 years. It still runs as fast as it did out of the box and has never given me any problems. It's the most reliable computer I've ever owned, bar none.

13. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Which is strictly because of portability. Meaning that it does not matter whether you have a desktop or notebook or monitor, if you drop either one from the height of a table onto a hard floor its going to do damage. The extent being associated with where it lands of course.

The reason a notebook is more prone to being damaged is because it can be moved around, so more chance of dropping it, but really not more fragile imo.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

+1 and if you are out of arranty or does not have AppleCare.