Can a MBP run with no battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minusten, Aug 30, 2009.

1. minusten macrumors member

I had posted this query in another thread but don't think it was the right place to ask so am re-posting here.

I'm considering buying a new MBP13, and was wondering if the non-user replaceable model can run at full performance when the battery is dead if constantly powered up and run as a desktop. Does anyone have any ideas?

Is it actually possible for user to replace battery? - ie: Apple don't endorse upgrading HD in Mini but that doesn't stop people!

Finally, how easy is it to replace RAM and HD in the new MBPs compared to doing same in a) the Mini and b) the older MBP (or uMB) with user replaceable battery?

2. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the non-user replaceable model, but for the old ones, if you take out the battery, the macbook automatically clocks itself to 1/2 of the max performance for CPU. It might be the same for the new macbook, or the macbook would just fail a hardware test?

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The old MBP can run without the battery. If it is not present, the CPU will run at half speed. (I think the Magsafe can't supply enough power for some load spikes). If the battery is just discharged, it will run at full speed. If there is a problem with the battery (and the power meter says Check Battery), it will probably run at half speed. I don't know if the MBP with the non-replaceable battery can run without it.

It is possible to replace the battery. It just takes a tri-wing screwdriver or something like that. Apple won't sell you just the battery, though, and I don't know if aftermarket replacements are available yet. Replacing the non-replaceable battery will probably void your warranty since Apple does not want you to do it.

The RAM and HD are not hard to replace, you just have to remove ~12 screws from the bottom.

4. creon macrumors 6502

Upgrading the RAM is a piece of cake. Takes 2 mins and is possibly the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to give your computer more "snappiness" ;)