Can a MBP's performance be effected by overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Aug 14, 2016.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I reinstalled SMC fan control today and it says it's 44 degrees celcius and 111 degrees Fahrenheit. It has been acting better, though, I haven't turned it off to see how fast it reboots. (I'll update tomorrow.) I'm just trying to narrow things down to save some money.

Thank you!

2. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yes, for a few reasons. One, when your CPU gets too hot it "throttles" itself, which means it down-clock's itself which means say you have a 2.4ghz CPU, it will down-clock itself to say 2.0ghz and then more until it reaches a point where it is not overheating. However, with overheating the computer should shut itself down when the CPU reaches its max unsafe temperature. So, I need to know if your Mac is turning itself off, or are you just noticing your CPU temp. is higher, which by the way 111 degrees fahrenheit is easily a very safe temperature for a CPU.

Which by the way, what year MacBook Pro do you have and what CPU (Core2 Duo, i3, i5, i7 etc...) do you have? Also, are you experiencing any other issues? Does your CPU stay at 111 degrees or does it fluctuate up and down due to what the load on the computer is, which is completely normal.

Once you answer these questions I should be able to tell you if your MacBook Pro is overheating or just throttling itself. Thanks!

:apple:

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If your Mac is overheating, it'll lock up or shut down.

What you're describing isn't overheating, it's normal operation and part of the thermal management that Apple and Intel use.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Nicely stated. Very informative.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

44c is not hot for a laptop, you'll see thottling/shutting down when temps approach the 100c mark, so you're not even halfway there at this point

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I have a mid-2012. I don't know how to figure out the core CPU. The only other issues I have had was very slow browser load (I only use Safari), and startup and possibly shut down. (Starting up takes longer time to take effect than shutting down.) I reset Safari last week and obviously, I am using it now. :)

I am having someone come over this week to make sure I am taking the right steps with my theory and the steps I want to take to correct the problem at hand. I'll let you know what happens later this week when I can.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That isn't a heat problem. Boot-up, shutdown and application launch speeds are heavily reliant on your HDD or SSD. If you're running the stock HDD in your computer, that may be the problem. Upgrade to a SSD.

8. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I had a feeling from a previous posting I made that I'm going to need a new HDD or SSD. If that is the solution since I saw something that someone posted for me. I want the SSD. I'll update when I can. (Possibly this week.)

9. !!! macrumors 6502

I was going to mention thermal throttling. Also, take a look at Intel Power Gadget. It will show the CPU clock speed as well as the temperature.

10. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Here - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

It`s just an interesting App that lets you observe the CPU power stats. As for the initial post 44C is low for a Mac, I can easily push my MBP`s into 3 figures under heavy usage. Application may monitor CPU core temperature of CPU proximity depending on the hardware, either ways if your Mac has issues it`s not to do with the operating temperature your seeing.

I would run Malwarebytes for Mac and see what that finds, maybe something, maybe nothing. Actively Monitor is also your friend, allowing you to observe what applications are pushing the CPU and driving up the temp, not that yours are high, my Quad Cores can run hotter at idle :)

Q-6

12. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

What's a good start up (when I turn on my MBP) temperature, but then again. I am sitting here with my macbook on my lap. It was high 90's to low 100's. I'm going to put my macbook on a cold wood table in a few minutes and update later.

13. huckg macrumors member

It will swell up and make the trackpad unusable.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

90-100F is fine. Why are you worried about temperature?

15. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

As of a few minutes ago, my MBP was so slow I called Apple tech support again, and as usual, they're awesome. I had a lot to get rid of and I reset the PRAM as well. I have a new app because of my conversation with Apple. I'll give it a week to see what happens, but notice a faster safari browser speed. :) I was also advised to remove the temperature apps that measured the temperature. I always thought it was my lap, but I guess not.

16. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The processor in the MBP is rated for up to 219 F so you're quite a long ways from overheating if you are getting a reading of 90 to 100 F. When I play games on my computer (Warthunder, very intensive on the GPU and CPU) my computer typically hovers between 180 to 210 F and I have not seen any throttling, regularly hit 45 FPS after playing 2 hours. Also seen the same while playing Civilization Beyond Earth which is perhaps more CPU intensive than Warthunder (due to the AI calculations) and haven't seen any throttling after roughly 4 hours. On a typical day, the computer is running around 120 F so 100 F is pretty low in my book.

17. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

The fan(s) is/are so quiet I had to literally raise my MBP to my ear to hear it. When I had my problem, it was quite audible, but it wasn't annoyingly loud. :)