Can a Monitor be Too Big?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airjuggernaut, Jul 4, 2009.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I recently just bought a 23" Acer monitor for my MacBook Pro, and now I have a problem.

I think it's...TOO big.

It's actually hurting my eyes, and it just feels so awkward using it for anything besides gaming.

The largest monitor size I had before this, was my 20" iMac, which I thought was perfect.

Then I got my MacBook Pro, and have using it's screen since.

Do you guys think it would be dumb to go return the monitor and get a 20" monitor instead?

Is it just a temporary "getting used too" phase?

Is it possible for a monitor to be too big?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean it's a personal thing, by no means would users on here consider that "too big."

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just keep it as you are getting used to it. In about 3-7days, if it is a real problem for you, return it for a 20in.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It is normal to prefer a certain size of screen. If you don't like the size and are within the return period, return it and get a size you like. Although you might try positioning the display a bit further back to see if that helps, as you can be too close to the display.

5. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Give it a few weeks if you can.

I found that every monitor I ever bought that was bigger than the previous one initially seemed 'too big'.
    Turning down the brightness initially will also help.

After a few weeks or months you get used to the higher resolution and the bigger display and soon you will find that it is actually 'too small'.

After a while longer you're then ready for the next monitor upgrade.
    Which initially will likely seem 'too big'...

Repeat.

6. akbc macrumors 6502

Monitors can never be too big :D

I'm sure you'll get used to it... I moved from 15" - 20" and now I use a 26" monitor, for the first week or so, I was like "damn, should've gone for 24" monitor", but after using it for about 2 months, I want a 30" monitor :eek:....

Anyways, you'll get used to it... Use it til its maximum return/exchange period and exchange it if you can't :)

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

for everyday use, yes it can be too big. but with a mac, the focused isnt just one app for the entire screen tho.

But the times it cant bee to big... gaming.... and Watching TV/movies/videos.

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Sit farther back from it, it will look smaller :p

I say you will be use to it, but, then again, who knows.

9. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Nah, I'm still quite satisfied with current display size.

Attached Files:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it crashes through the desk and pins you to the floor while crushing your legs, it might be too big.

11. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I have 2 x 23" monitors, and I can't believe I lived without them before... I upgraded from 2 x 20" Apple Displays, and I could never go back!

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I went from a 17" LCD panel to the 20" iMac which I think is the sweet spot for desktop use... I have a 24" monitor (due to the great deal I got on it with no shipping or tax cost) and it is almost too big but it sits far from my recliner (so its not that bad)... I'm glad I opted for a laptop and 20" iMac vs the 24" iMac I was originally looking at...

13. macjay macrumors 6502

It's all about personal preference, and it sounds like a 20" monitor is your preferred size.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

depends on what your doing. Ask a designer/video editor and a monitor is never big enough. Try playing with the setting, maybe its too bright. I find my imac screen too bright so i turned it down.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO, no. I came from 15" Acer and now I have 24" iMac + 24" BenQ monitor. My eyes got used to iMac's size in few days and no I can't think that I would be using 15" laptop

16. cube macrumors G5

23", 1920x1200 is the minimum acceptable size for a desktop.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Whats the resolution on it? Could be a problem due to a smaller resolution. 1920x1200 should be on a 23".

I think you will get used to it.

18. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone.

It's already pushed back as far as possible on my desk, so It might be that the monitor just isn't ideal for my desk size.

The Resolution on it is 1920 x 1080.

I'm going to keep it a little while longer and see if I get used to it otherwise I'm going to return it and get a 19" or a 20"

19. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

i bought an iMac after using a crappy 15inch notebook. i did some actual work on it for a day and i thought the same as u. too big! but after a few days it looked fantastic and its actually really helpful when running alot of apps

20. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I felt the same way in 2007 when my family got our first big screen tv. We got a 50in and when we put it in our basement we were like wow its too big maybe we should have gone with a 42in but now we want an even bigger one. It just takes sometime to get used to.

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

isn't it suppose to be 1920x1200? Maybe that's the problem.

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I think my one month old hp 21.5" 1080p hd display not really big anymore lol when i first got it my eyes where all over the place and i felt weird after looking at a 15" for years, now i got used to it and i love it but now i think i should have went for the much larger size hahaha. i also thought that the 21.5" would be too big but not anymore. so enjoy yours! :D

23. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i find that with a large monitor, if its resolution is low (anything below 100 pixels per inch) its annoying to work with and can hinder productivity.

are windows small on your laptop and large when you bring them over to your external monitor?

24. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I seem to prefer monitors that are between 24" and 26". I could never get used to the 30" models, they are just to big for my eyes. I have been using a 24" screen for over 5 years and anything else feels wrong.

25. fpar macrumors regular

Personally, the bigger the monitor the better. Unless there is a serious lack of space.