Can a new iCloud account be a current MobileMe alias?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by phalseHUD, Jul 12, 2011.

1. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

If I get an iOS dev account now, could I create a new iCloud account based on my existing MobileMe alias?

Apple don't seem to have a clue... :/
    Anyone done this?

Cheers!

2. carbonfly macrumors regular

Make sure to log out of your MobileMe account on your iOS device. Then you can login to iCloud with your current mobileme credentials.

3. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

4. phalseHUD thread starter macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Just wish I could speak to someone knowledgable at Apple... Three advisors could neither confirm nor deny!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because the product is not out yet. Apple does not provide support to beta products. You need help with beta products, sign into the developers forum and handle that way.

6. phalseHUD thread starter macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Thanks v much! Wish they'd told me that! Since I'm not a registered dev yet, I didn't know they had a forum.

Cheers again!

7. phalseHUD thread starter macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Have spoken with the developer support team and they didn't really understand... Suppose I am approaching this from both a consumer/developer viewpoint.

They think I need 2 accounts, one as consumer, one as developer. Fair enough.

Basically I was wanting to try my hand at developing on iOS, but would like to sort out a new e-mail address now and don't want that to change later on. The e-mail address I want to use, is an existing alias. I hate multiple accounts for anything so that's why I wanted to consolidate. Plus, based on problems I have had with MobileMe, and my local Apple Store, they are willing to refund my family pack on a pro-rata basis. This should then cover the cost of the dev program.