Can a new iPhone4, bought at ATT this week be jailbreaked ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Looking to jump ship to iOS, and the iPhone4, after the devastating poor battery experience with my EVO 4G, and some flaky Droid apps, and many issues, lets not discuss that hear, already have a different thread for that.

Long story short, if I go to the ATT store get the new iPhone4 out of the box, I am sure it is running the most current firmware ? Can this new phone be jailbreaked to run custom themes and few custom apps, I want on it. Or do I have to wait for this most current firmware on this new phone to get a jailbreak made for it ?

Thank you

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

If you are lucky to get one that's 4.1, it will be untethered JB. If it's a 4.2.1 (latest), it will be tethered. The difference is with tethered you need to connect the phone to a computer to reboot it. In both cases, you can use Redsnow to JB.

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Please explain those terms to this newb :)

If it's 4.1 and untethered, that means no problem jailbreaking it, and I can plug it into my PC to recharge or get new iTunes songs ?

But if it is the newest 4.2.1 then that means I can not plug it into the PC right now, for fear of it not working ?

Main reason I want to jailbreak it, are to put a nice custom theme on there like Timeless HD, and not have it look like typical iPhone screen full of app icons, and to have some of the custom apps, that show the true weather on it, and opposed to the typical place holder 76 sunny icon for weather :)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

He did: