Can a non-voip iOS app use voip background processing and get approved?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jpefjr, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

I'm thinking about writing an app that acts as a proxy. The app would connect to my server and then listen on another socket for connections from another app.

I was just wondering if it's possible to get an app approved if it 1) uses voip background execution even though it's not a voip app and 2) listens for network connections on localhost from another app (that's already written but could pretty easily be updated by a 3rd party to connect to my localhost port). The server that my app would connect to uses a proprietary protocol and I could convert from the telnet protocol that comes in on localhost from the 3rd party app to the proprietary protocol.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

I would assume that such an app would be rejected for obvious reasons.

3. jpefjr thread starter macrumors regular

jpefjr

Thanks, that was my assumption too but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone had done something similar and gotten approval.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

I mean, there is always the chance that it would get approved, but after that you'd be at risk of being pulled without warning anyway.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

What obvious reasons?

Perhaps the Apple notification system would be useful. Also, how is your app different from say, Skype?

6. firewood macrumors 604

Somewhere the guidelines may say that apps will be rejected for specifying any requirements in the plist that are not actually needed or used by the app.

Apps have reportedly been rejected for including the background audio key without any obvious audio functionality showing up in the app's UI.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Using one of the background services for a purpose other than its intended one.

8. petercarlos macrumors newbie

Hi ppefjr,

Certainly such an application would be rejected as it can be considered as a malicious tool. However if your app is impressive and has a legal purpose then it may get accepted.

9. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I think there were some apps that advertised themselves as AirPrint printers so that the user could use AirPrint from other apps and then the apps would forward the documents to non-airprint printers (or something like that). So the idea of a kind of server app is not out of the question. I think Apple changed something in AirPrint so these apps no longer function.

However, advertising as a voip app when it's not correct will almost certainly not be accepted. Apps like that run down the battery, which Apple takes a lot of criticism about already.