Can a nVidia GPU & AMD be installed at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luba, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I have a Radeon 4870 already installed and if I installed a GTX 680 would they conflict? I'd like to use the 4870 to drive monitors and use the GTX 680 for CUDA.

I know the 680 takes in 2 power lines. I think the 4870 only needs 1 power line? In any case, I would need an external PSU.

2. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Would it work? Sure. I have a GTX 660 and a Radeon 2600 XT installed at the same time, driving different monitors. It WILL work, though you will need either an external PSU, or you'll need to route power from the Optical Bays to the connector on the Radeon. The 680 should be OK with the two 6 pins on the logic board.

3. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Would apps access both GPUs, or do you somehow tell the app which GPU you want used?

4. echoout macrumors 6502a

Depends. Which apps are you concerned about?

5. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Mainly, Final Cut Pro X. And Adobe CS5 accessing GTX 680 for CUDA.

6. echoout macrumors 6502a

Even though it was only 3 or so years ago, CS5 was way different in how GPU acceleration was implemented. I think After Effects was still using their super-sketchy OpenGL Fast Preview but no CUDA acceleration. This might have been the first version of Premiere's Mercury Playback Engine, or was that CS4? I know Premiere couldn't see more than one card and you had less control over GPU related settings.

CS5.5 wasn't much better. It was CS6 when it started getting good and now CC is really simple. Premiere and After Effects CC have a check box that lets you ignore their previously easy to hack compatibility list. It's pretty plug and play now, even with multiple cards.

That all being said, I'm just not sure how much advantage you're going to see in CS5, and if you do, you'll see very little in the setting you can adjust.