Can a RAID do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by -hh, Mar 9, 2009.

1. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Just read a different thread that was discussing setting up of multiple partitions on three drives set up as a RAID 0. Basic idea was to have a scratch disk for Photoshop.

...which got me thinking in a perpendicular direction.

Without going into esoteric RAID levels (eg, 10, 50, etc), is the following notionally possible? Assume a new Mac Pro:

Bay 1: Boot drive - present, but being ignored for this conversation.
    Bay 2: big old HD "A"
    Bay 3: big old HD "B"
    Bay 4: (vacant)

Step 1: Partition A into a 100GB + 0.9TB split (A1, A2)
    Step 2: Partition B into a 100GB + 0.9TB split (B1, B2)
    Step 3: RAID partitions A1 + B1 ... as a RAID 0
    Step 4: RAID partitions A2 + B2 ... as a RAID 1

Pass/Fail?

The basic question is: can this really be done with this few spindles?

The follow-up question is: is this a good-bad-horrible-etc idea?

The basic intent behind this is to try to "have my cake and eat it too" by having a small fast scratch space (RAID 0) and a large RAID 1 protected storage space, but the question is to what degree can the total number of physical drives be minimized? Thus, is 2 possible? And even if it is, what are the recommended alternatives? I'm inclined to go with 3 bays for a RAID 5, for example, but I'm unclear as to which would be a better/worse performer and in what area the trade-offs exist.

-hh

2. robinp macrumors 6502

sounds very interesting... surely the thing to do is try it?

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

4. mackmack macrumors member

If you have stuff going on the RAID 1 set it kind of negates the performance advantage of the RAID 0 array because the drive will be bogged down with the RAID 1 activity.

I think it would be better to just have the two drives as RAID 1.

5. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

Your best option is to put a scratch disk in Bay 4,
    That will give you the best performance for our scratch disk, and just keep your two "Bid old HD" in RAID1

6. -hh thread starter macrumors 68020

-hh

Agreed, although I think that this would be adequately addressed by workflow: the RAID 0 is mostly for Photoshop scratch space, whereas the RAID 1 is for "permanent" storage after the image(s) have been worked on.

Agreed; just trying to see if there's a fairly easy way to cheat.

-hh

7. -hh thread starter macrumors 68020

-hh

Fair enough, although I'm hoping that someone else will get to it months before I will: I'm not planning on placing my Mac Pro order for a couple of months, as I want to make sure to also get Snow Leopard.

-hh

8. fatespawn macrumors member

fatespawn

-hh,

My .02?

Buy a 10,000RPM 74 GB WD Raptor drive from ebay for a "buy it now" price of $60 for your scratch disk.

Then don't mirror your other 2 "large drives." Clone them nightly. Unless "real time" redundancy is absolutely crucial, you'll get a longer life out of both drives if you just clone them nightly and swap which one you work off every few months or so.

-fate

9. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

I use an 8-9GB partition on four of the five drives in my G5 (eSATA) as a stripped array for scratch (only use). three of the component disks get very little use while I'm Photoshopping, so I probably should have limited the array to those three and not included the boot/apps drive, but the speed of the array is very fast compared to a single disk in my G5.