Can a Retina Macbook Pro do this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Jan 6, 2013.

1. UBS28, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

UBS28 macrumors 6502a

At the same time (multitasking) in OS X:
    - World of Warcraft ( in Windowed mode, not full screen ). Native resolution on atleast high settings.
    - 1080p movie
    - Google Chrome surfing
    - iTunes

My current Macbook Pro doesn't operate smoothly under these conditions. How does the Retina Macbook Pro handle this type of multitasking? :)

2. Livewings macrumors regular

Yes, even with 20 more apps opened.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

To really answer this question, post the specs of your old laptop, and the laptop you intend on using.

World of Warcraft has special controls for iTunes built into the game. Chrome is a pretty fast browser. It *does* however eat up a lot of ram (I believe). The only thing in there questionable is the 1080p movie.

But once again, post specs of both computers and then I could help you (full specs). It's like asking is computer A going to be better than computer B at doing this.

4. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you try running all these programs at the same time? Or are you speculating?

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Sounds like a "ZOMG I love Apple" speculation :p

6. UBS28, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 2010 Macbook Pro 15". World of Warcraft runs pretty well in OS X in full screen mode at 1680 x 1050.

However, when running in Windowed mode (not full screen) and doing other things at the same thing, things can start to slow down.

At the moment, I'm not heavily using my Macbook Pro since I can connect to servers which handles most of the computing. So I can keep using this machine for professional work. For personal use, it starts to get limiting ( like the situation I described )

7. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Well, I would have preferred a little bit more detailed description (i.e. what processor, what graphics, ram, bus speed, etc.) :p

However, what I *CAN* tell you is this:
    - The rMBP is going to have the new Ivy Bridge, whereas yours has the Sandy Bridge. That alone will make a decent significance in processing power.
    - Also, if you get a rMBP with a dedicated GPU, that will probably make the single biggest difference when playing WoW (make sure to get a full 1GB VRAM and not half a gig). If you were only running WoW, I'd be willing to bet you could run on maxed out, high detail, and get 40-60 fps, or more (depending on the area, time of the server, how many are connected, etc).

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

Just a note: 2010 MacBook Pro doesn't have Sandy Bridge. Sandy Bridge is only in 2011 models. The 2010 models had Nehalem chips, which are actually worse.

The comparison is pretty skewered:

Dual-core at lower frequency and lower IPC (instructions per cycle)
    vs
    Quad-core at higher frequency and higher IPC

The difference is more than "decent".

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

An even *BETTER* reason to buy a new Mac then xD

10. leman macrumors 604

Native resolution of the rMBP is 2880x1800. You will be hard pressed to find a modern game that would run well on that resolution at max settings, even if you take a much faster desktop card.

The rMBP will however do all the things you requested at the same time while playing WoW at 1920x1200 or so.