Can a retina MBP be run with the display unplugged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serr, Feb 19, 2017.

1. serr macrumors regular

Can the retina Macbooks be run with the internal display unplugged from the logic board?

This was always no problem in the past. I'm asking the question before just trying it because magic smoke is usually expensive to waste. I don't seem to specifically see any examples posted to the internets. Google searches want to tell me how to use closed lid mode.

Unplugging the retina display from the logic board and removing the assembly. Then connecting an external monitor and booting. Can you do this?

2. serr thread starter macrumors regular

I want to know if running one of these machines with an external monitor but no internal at all is an option of course. :)

Does anyone know?

Seems like a long shot that such a thing would cause any damage but you know what happens when you assume.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Well I would assume the same, as I don't see any reason for the Logic Board to have issue if the internal display panel is not present. Reality is your likely going have to dive in, short of an Apple tech sounding off or a schematic of the board.

If the internal display is damaged, just use in clamshell mode with external KB & mouse etc. pickup a vertical stand and forget about the internal.

Q-6