Can a Spoof Caller Hack my Iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yakyzdus, Feb 11, 2014.

1. yakyzdus, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

yakyzdus macrumors newbie

Need help! I have contacted my carrier and Apple and received no answers. I need to know if my IPhone 4 has been compromised.

I sent a text to my son. 4 min later I received an incoming call from what appeared to be my son, his number, picture, and so on appeared. I answered the call. No one seemed to be on the line. I checked the timer to make sure there was a connection, 11 sec, 12 sec.....I said hello again. This time I heard someone come on the line. My ex-husband said hello. I hung up the call. I immediately hit redial. I received an error message that the person I was calling was unavailable, the message you get when a call is rejected, the call went to my ex-husbands phone.

I wait about 4 min and call again, this time going through my contact list. I get my son's voice mail. Over the next hour my son and I text back and forth and call without issue.

My phone shows I sent text to son. Incoming call from son. Outgoing call to son (when voice mail was left).

My son's phone shows text received, incoming call received with voice mail. NO HISTORY OF OUT GOING CALL to me.

My son was not with my ex (his father) at time of these calls. His father was not his last number dialed. I have not had phone contact with my ex in four years. My son's service provider is Verizon. My ex and I have ATT. We ALL have different accounts.

My ex claims he also received a call from my son and when he answered I was on the line. He also claims I hung up and called HIM back. My phone has no record of making any calls to him.

I was told by apple, it appears the incoming call I received was a spoof call. Made through an APP like "Fake my Call". My concern is, could my phone have been hacked while a connection was made with my ex's line? My ex is VERY Tech savvy and has used key logger programs on my computers in the past.
    If he was able to hack my phone when a connection was made between our two phone lines, what information could he get from my phone? Most important, how can I trace the hack and prove my ex is behind it?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

No, you can't be hacked through a call. Has he ever used the phone? If so, do a factory restore if you're really concerned...

Sounds like you have a psycho ex btw. :0

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Your stock iPhone phone cannot be hacked thru a phone call. If you have jail broken your phone, it's hard to tell what might be installed. I can't tell you what those calls were about, but your stock iPhone is very secure from hacking.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Could have been a wacky mistake, the phone companies on occasion route calls incorrectly.

Or maybe your son tried, purposefully or accidentally, to make a conference call that dropped him off the call.

5. yakyzdus, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

yakyzdus thread starter macrumors newbie

Could it be possible for my son's phone to be hacked so that my ex could have received his incoming text? My son has a Droid based phone.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Could it be a simple but odd coincidence? Why would my son have NO record of making the call. Not on his phone or his billing records. My ex and I do not have similar numbers. We are not "grouped" in my son's contact list.
    My ex has never had access to my phone.

I have been concerned that my ex has gained access to my phone (emails and text) through my daughters phone in the past. Private information exposed during court trials. Is it possible to hack a phone by sending an encrypted text or email?

I have reset my phone so many times....

6. I7guy macrumors G5

Anything is possible, but if you are worried wipe the phone and restore. It's possible but not probable an app was installed, but a DFU wipe would take care of it. Sounds like a messy divorce. Good luck.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Android phone could have malware running on it, yes. There are lots of known viruses and malware on Android.... The only ones on iOS showed up on jail broken devices, so if you are stock, it's not a virus.

8. cynics macrumors G3

I think you are fine. While true no software is impossible to hack this shouldn't be possible via a phone call.

Let me throw out a theory. I'm assuming your son still talks to his father. Is it possible that maybe your son intentionally or accidentally hit "add call" when you called to initiate a 3 way call then purposely or accidentally (pocket dialed) didn't say anything?

That doesn't explain everything but the middle caller (your son) could have nearly caused a very similar experience.

Ie you called your son he hit add call while on the phone with his father. Then you were in direct contact with your ex with no history log of calling him. You hang up and call your son back and he tries to add a call with his father (your ex) and it goes to his voicemail because he's equally confused.

Like I said just a theory.