Can a Sprint iPhone 5s be restored without a Sprint SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Oct 19, 2014.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

I have a feeling I may need to drive back to my brother's house, but he passed his iPhone 5s to one of my kids to use as an iPod. I took it home, performed the erase all settings on the iPhone (just like I do on my T-Mobile iPhone).

But after the first or second screen setting it up, it says it needs a SIM to activate. He didn't leave his Sprint SIM in it...do I actually need to go back and have him pop it in, activate it, remove it, and then I'd be good? Or any other way around this to activate the phone without a Sprint SIM? Thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You shouldn't need the SIM to use it as an iPod. You will need it to activate the phone for cellular service if it's going to be used as a phone.

Sprint pairs the SIM card with the phone. This is how they keep the phone locked to the network (they do not unlock for domestic US use ever).

So. If your brother tries to use that SIM in another phone he's going to find out he can't use it. And if you insert any SIM in the 5s other than that original Sprint SIM you will get no service.

Not having service does not mean you cannot use WiFi. You just can't activate the phone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you will need to activate the phone.
    Without that step you will never get passed that point and into the home screen.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

How strict is that though?

I ask because my sister gave me her AT&T 3GS for Christmas 2011. She left her SIM in there because I demanded it, but despite restoring the phone twice I never had to activate the phone. It had already been disconnected from AT&T service at that point as well.

This was on iOS 5 though so maybe that makes a difference? IDK. But I never got asked to activate or if I did I was able to cancel it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's very strict.
    The sim doesn't have to be an active sim but it has to be a sim from the carrier that the phone is locked to. But it needs a sim to get passed that screen or it won't get in without one.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahh. That explains it then. Glad I demanded my sister leave her SIM in the phone that Christmas then.

Thanks for explanation AJ.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:) yep, good thing.
    But you could Also buy an att sim online for a $1 and just activate it. Or borrow someone's sim for a minute.

8. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

My understanding is that it has to be a sprint Sim and nothing else will work.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    Only a sprint sim will work.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And probably only the one it was paired with…

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% but I think any sprint one should do the trick in order just to get into the home screen.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Any Sprint sim would work. OP can buy one on eBay or Amazon or something if he's unable to find one otherwise.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK, that's twice I've been wrong in this thread, LOL! :D:eek:

Pay no mind to the words that proceed from my keyboard! :eek::)