Can a tablet replace a mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Changepoint, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Changepoint macrumors member

Changepoint

Please can you recommend a tablet that can be used in place of a mouse, for general use in OSX apps but is also capable in PS. I tried a Graphire a few years back and hated it, but probably admit to not persevering with it long enough. Can tablets completely replace mice?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm of the opinion No.

In various locations I have both the Cintiqs, Intuos in two sizes with the "mouse" as well - but I still have a separate mouse, and in most cases also a separate 3D controller. Obviously during drawing I'm using the tablet partly as a mouse - but full-time, no. I'm probably fussy but the 'mice' even if they work properly aren't properly weighted, the way they slide is wrong, etc. I guess it's a degree of what you're willing to put up with.

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I agree Changepoint. I'm currently using Intuous 3 but I use MM when not in graphical app.

U will need a mouse...

4. Mografi macrumors newbie

Yes, tablets can totally replace mice!

You need a good sized (and quality) graphic tablet and patience.
    The Wacom Intuos is great and I am using the widescreen 6 x 11". The intuos has higher resolution and finer pressure sensitivity than the smaller and cheaper units.

I use one at home with a single 24" widescreen monitor, and one at work with 2 x 23" widescreen monitors.

I was stubborn at first. I had always used a small graphics tablet, but exclusively for painting/drawing in photoshop.

A lot of people I worked with used tablets exclusively and when I started to get repetitive stress injury from using a mouse too much I switched to just the tablet. I almost never get cramped or tired hands now or weird finger spasms or anything.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Perhaps this is an aspect of being able to choose. I've never suffered from mouse-related physical problems because the moment one is not working for me, I throw it away / fob it off on someone and buy another. Similarly with tablets - I currently use the A4 wide and the A3 wide versions of the Intuos on various computers. I still prefer a mouse but the point about a large tablet being suited for mousing is something I didn't think about - and something I'm not sure I agree with. I guess you'll have to try it.