Can a Time Capsule be wired to an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shighkin, May 29, 2009.

1. shighkin macrumors newbie

So here's how it is set up at home: my parents have an AirPort Extreme Base Station by our upstairs computers, which is connected to a modem and we use that to get our wi-fi throughout the house. I want to buy an AirPort Express to use to stream music in my room. But I also have a Time Capsule, which I need so I can back up my Macbook. I know that an AirPort Express can be used to extend an existing network. So would it be possible to plug in the Express in my room, use it to extend our upstairs network, and then hard-wire the Time Capsule to the Express through the ethernet port and use that to connect the Time Capsule? On paper that seems like it would work, because the Express would be receiving a signal from the base station upstairs, and then sending it to the Time Capsule, giving them both access to the network. But I just want to make sure it would work before I drop $99 on an Express. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, there are 2 options

1-extend the network
    2-Join the network (this only works with the N version that has been out for a little over a year)

also with either option you could just have the TC join the existing wireless network instead of wiring to the express.

if you are having signal problems, then extend

if you already have a good signal, then just join, with extending you will take a hit in speed on the wireless nework.

another option, if the extreme is in B/G mode, and you have a N capable macbook.
    -have the express join the extreme's network
    -wire the TC to the express
    -have the time capsule serve a 5GHz N network in bridge mode
    (think that should work, if the TC doesn't have bridge mode, just switch TC & express in the statements)

you will then have backups on N speed, and you will still still be able to get to everything on the network.

----couple things to think about.----

5GHz signals give the best speeds, but don't go through things well. so you may find you have to switch to the extreme's network if you're not in the same room (or more than 2 or 3 walls) away from your N base.

If you are using it for time machine, i highly recommend hard wiring your laptop to the time capsule for the initial backup. at minimum will be 3-4 times faster.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

4. shighkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I want the Express solely to use AirTunes to stream music to the stereo in my room. It sounds like I'll be able to do what I want to do without even having to hardwire it. Thanks. :)

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The airtunes on the express works really well. I have mine setup just for that.