Can a US iPad 2 be used overseas?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by beebler, Apr 4, 2011.

1. beebler macrumors regular

I'm currently living overseas and the iPad 2 isn't being released yet. Is it possible to buy an iPad 2 3G/Wi-Fi in the US and activate it on the local carrier that has the iPad? Or will it be locked to AT&T/Verizon networks?

2. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Yes but it must be the AT&T version equipped with GSM that like 80% of the world uses.

That one will both function and is unlocked.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

Any iPad 2 can be used overseas but if you want to use 3G connectivity, the only option you have is AT&T.

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I live in the USA, but often travel to Australia. I have the AT&T version and all I do is purchase an Aussie micro-sim data card when I am down under. Works no problems at all. I intend doing the same when I am in Europe this summer.

5. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Even in countries that have CDMA networks? (Yeah yeah, it's tiny compared to GSM.) Or, will the Verizon version not roam on foreign CDMA networks?

6. xraytech macrumors 68020

Not sure but I think you are locked into Verizon as a provider and if you do roam into abother CDMA network you'll have to pay roaming charges.

7. number84 macrumors 6502

I think it will roam just fine if you're crazy enough to pay data roaming charges. But you won't be able to activate it on any other carrier besides Verizon.

8. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd bet that VZ data roaming charges would be insane. They're insane on iPhone 3G and above on AT&T.