Can a US MacBook Pro's NTSC DVD drive be converted to PAL?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CCAALL, May 25, 2009.

1. CCAALL macrumors newbie

Im heading to the US at the end of the year and was thinking about buying a new MacBook Pro while over there, seen as the prices here (in Australia) are outrageously high (they are AU$550 cheaper in the usa for the exact same machine!!). Obviously the drives used in those machines will be NTSC so being able to convert it will dictate if ill be able to possibly buy one. So does anyone know if it can be changed to PAL permanently or even temporarily?
    Or any other possible problems i might have?

much appreciated!
    cheers.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The drive itself is not encoded to be NTSC or PAL. It has a region coding that limits the areas of the world it can play DVDs from. The US setting is Region 1, but you can change it.

3. celtikmind macrumors 6502

Do you know what to do when those five times are up? Or is it a bust then?

4. CCAALL thread starter macrumors newbie

so you saying it wont be a problem? all i have to do is change the region coding and it'll be fine?

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If it isn't the unibody MacBook Pro or the last pre-unibody Penryn, you can flash the firmware to make it region-free, but you could bork it.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It used to be that VLC would just ignore region codes, but I believe that was only on PPC. Hopefully someone can test it for us on an Intel machine.

8. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

there is some win app that can change the region as often you want but i don't knew if it "stays" then also with os X.

9. CCAALL thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah ive done that to an old powerbook before, but id like to eliminate the risk though. can anyone guaranty a solution?

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you're using it in Aussieland anyway, just put in an Aussie DVD and you will be prompted to change the region code. Once it's been set, it's the same as if you had purchased the computer there. Any region-changing would need to be done for both computers for the purpose of watching DVD's from around the globe. Don't bother messing with the firmware since there isn't even RPC-1 firmware available (yet) anyway.

11. CCAALL thread starter macrumors newbie

oh cool thanks for your help man, i thought that might have just been the solution but i wanted to make sure. Also thanks for spelling aussie right too! lol

cheers

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no guarantees in flashing firmware; if you want to avoid any risk, just use VLC; it ignores region codes.

13. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Sometimes this method does not work. I've seen it happen more often then not on many machines.

Depending on the model of your super drive you may or may not be able to unlock it. Do a search on google for "region free " and then the model of your drive.