Can a user install an ssd themselves in the new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ragz, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ragz macrumors newbie

I'm getting the new iMac with a 3tb hdd. I was wondering if I can install a large ssd at a later date myself?

Thanks
    Anurag

2. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Depending upon your technical prowess and willingness to potentially void any warranty protection on your iMac . . . . SURE!

There are ample resources available now for researching tear-down procedure and compatible SSD for what you contemplate.

3. chuckiehina macrumors member

Can it be done -yes. BUT it a complex and risky procedure beyond the capability of most users. It is much more involved than just unscrewing fastners and disconnecting connectors. So it is highly dependent on you level of expertise.

4. ragz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. We don't have an apple auth service Center in my city in india. So i guess I will have to figure out a way to send this to another city and upgrade.

5. Serban Suspended

Why you need SSD? Don't you have fusion drive?

6. elev8d macrumors 6502

7. ragz thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason apple doesn't offer fusion drives in india.

8. NVRENUF! macrumors regular

NVRENUF!

Yes: if you know what you're doing.
    no : if you dont know much more than how to turn the thing on.

Option 1 , still not allowed really. but my self and lots of other people have done it.

but this has been well covered look for a thread called RIP THOSE MACS OPEN.

this thread has everything you need to know.

9. eternalife macrumors regular

Thunderbolt!

Sounds like your best option is to go external. Just use the TB port with an external SSD and run from there.

10. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Theoretically, yes you can.

But based on the teardown procedure published by iFixit, it looks to be about as straightforward as replacing the piston rings in your car. :eek:

11. ragz thread starter macrumors newbie

I really want to use the SSD for the OS and the apps and use the 3tb internal hdd for the media. I already have a lacie 6tb firewire 800 that i use for my current media storage and as a time machine. I plan to use the same lacie 6tb in raid 5 using the TB adapter as a time machine. However, I want to use the internal 3tb hdd for media now and an internal (or maybe external) SSD for the os and apps (as mentioned above).

A

12. Fishrrman macrumors G4

As an alternative to opening it up, you could put the SSD into an external USB3/SATA docking station, and get speeds that will rival those of an interally-installed drive.

NO -- it won't be "just as fast". But it WILL be so fast that you will never notice the difference in normal usage (other than perhaps a slightly longer bootup time).

If you start thinking about "an external SSD boot solution", BE SURE to get a USB3 dock (or enclosure) that has either an
    ASMedia 1051e controller chip
    or an
    ASMedia 1053 controller chip.

Both will give you UASP support (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for faster performance on UASP capable systems (such as on the new iMacs).

For a standalone enclosure, I'd recommend this:
    http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/U32-M.html

For a USB3/SATA docking station, I'd suggest:
    http://plugable.com/products/USB3-SATA-U3

13. kennyap macrumors regular

Replacing the internal sata drive with an SSD can be done. It's not as easy as the 2011 iMacs though because the screen is delicate and takes time and loving care to get off. After that it's easy IMO. Putting the screen back on is easy enough, you just have to have to right tape. I used 3M 4926 VHB temporarily until the proper imac tape I ordered from eBay arrives.