Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I have an iPhone 6 on the way and plan on giving my mom my current iPhone 5. We both use Verizon and have our own separate accounts (not lines). My mom is currently using my old iPhone 4. Since she doesn't have a SIM card and uses 3G, I have a couple questions in order to make the transition quick and smooth as possible...

When I preordered the iPhone 6, I was asked if I wanted to keep my SIM card. Knowing that my mom will need a SIM card for the iPhone 5, I chose 'No' so that I would get a new card shipped with the new phone and she could potentially use my old card. I know SIM cards can be switched between different devices on the same line, but I was unable to find much information about being able to reuse or reactivate them on a different account. Will my mom be able to use or activate my old SIM card on her account, or will she need to pick up a new SIM card at a Verizon store?

Also, since my mom is currently using 3G, is there anything special she will need to do to her account or plan in order to use or activate the 4G/LTE iPhone 5 on her account, or will it be automatic? If it makes any difference, she is on the 'Share Everything' plan.

Thanks!

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
I would put your old SIM in your iPhone 6 and give your Mom the new SIM for use in the iPhone 5. This assumes you want to keep your current phone number.

I can't help you on phone plan changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.