Can a wired connection be added to a wireless network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phiberbax, Mar 28, 2012.

1. phiberbax, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

phiberbax macrumors newbie

RESOLVED:

I have a iMac, Macbook Air and a Mac Mini

For the iMac and the Macbook Air I use the wireless internet connected to a wireless network.

I have the Mac Mini in a Media closet that is directly connected to a switch/Airport Extreme - though it will also join the wireless network via wireless connection just fine, what I would like for it to do is join the wireless network via the directly connected ethernet.

Why?

I am using it to stream 1080p uncompressed Blu-Ray's to my entertainment TV and when trying to do this via wireless, it get overloaded and lags.

So is there anyway to join my wireless connection via the ethernet port on the back of my mac mini. I see both wired and wireless networks enabled in the system preference, but it is using my wireless connection.

I've been trying to figure this out for 3 weeks now, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Can you:

System Preferences -> Internet & Wireless -> Network -> Ethernet ?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Turn off the wireless on the Mini.

If both the wired and wireless networks are coming from the same router, then they are the same network.

4. phiberbax thread starter macrumors newbie

I am showing 2 very different ip's

here are the screen shots

Wired - http://cl.ly/410p1Z162c4402442Q2Z

Wifi - http://cl.ly/3h2B074022272Q1I0V0l

----------

could the switch I have be changing the ip?

When I switch to wired connection, I no longer see the network of computers or the network name

5. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

You are not getting an IP address via the Ethernet connection. the 169.254.184.206 is not a real IP address (it is a self assigned IP that the computer gives itself when it can't find a DHCP server)

Are you connecting the Mini directly to the airport extreme?

Are you sure the cable is connected correctly?

Are you sure the cable is not broken?

Try connecting the iMac to the Ethernet and testing with that also.

6. phiberbax thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for your response. For my setup I have the Cable modem directly connected to the airport extreme, then the airport extreme directly connected to a switch and the switch directly connected to the Mac Mini.

The cable is connected correctly for I can switch networks(from wifi to ethernet) and still get a internet connection but not be apart of the wireless internet network. The reason it is important to still be apart of this network is b/c I share screen this mac mini from my iMac (since it is in a closet)

I can't directly connect the iMac for all the cabling is in the media closet 20 feet away =(

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Why do you have the switch in there? It is not needed, and is the problem. The switch is why you are not getting an IP. Connect the Mini directly to the Airport Extreme.

8. phiberbax thread starter macrumors newbie

Well there lies the problem,

I have a drobo NAS I need to be connected to the Mac Mini so it can stream the 1080p Movies. So I currently have the Mac mini connected to the switch and the drobo connected to the switch so they can be connected together through ethernet. Would it change anything if I just directly connected the Drobo to the Airport Extreme and also directly connect the Mac Mini to the Airport Extreme? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to networking.

Also, I am getting an ip, it's just way different than my wireless ip

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You want to connect both to the Airport Extreme.

10. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

The Airport Extreme has 4 ports on it IIRC,

There is no need to use a switch as well unless you need more ports.

Does the Airport Extreme not support connecting swtiches to it? Most networking equipment allows this. I usually work with enterprise level Cisco stuff, not consumer stuff though.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The switch may not have been wired in properly ... the OP admitted to not knowing a lot about networking.

12. phiberbax thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys you fixed it for me! Thanks guys. I bypassed the switch for my drobo and mac mini. I do the switch for I have 4 other devices, but this was my main problem. Hooking them both up to the extreme ports and then running )bridge) mode will allow you to use the ethernet over a wireless connection!

Also, this fixed the lagging I was having with connecting to my share screen.

Big thanks to these forums!