Can AirPort Express be used as an "adapter"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by downunder, Feb 27, 2009.

1. downunder macrumors newbie

Have read through the instructions on line, but can't seem to find an answer. Can I "join" an AirPort Express to my existing N network (Time Capsule) and then use the ethernet port as an "adapter" for a device (ethernet ready tv in this case)?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm off to eat now, but the answer is "yes".

I'll leave it to others (or myself later) to fill in the details.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

as far as i know the ethernet is internet IN. i haven't heard anything about changing it into an adapter like that...

and unless you had a very old computer w/wifi - but not USB, and you wanted a hard drive to work with it with unbearably slow speeds... :)

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, it absolutely can be used as an adapter. I've used one previously as such - it wirelessly receives the signal and sends it out over the ethernet port. I forget the exact settings, and I've moved on to AirPort Extremes, but IIRC all you need to do is set it up to join the wireless network, don't disable the ethernet port, and then it should work fine.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Ethernet is a two-way street... the internet wouldn't be much good if you couldn't send instructions to it (you wouldn't be able to navigate, for starters...). ;)