Can Airport Express do multiple b/g/n networks simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by plaidhippo, Jun 26, 2007.

1. plaidhippo macrumors member

Hi all,
    I was considering getting the new apple airport extreme router, as i have several different units at home which need network connectivity simultaneously. However, all the devices operate at different wireless standards - wii (b/g), mbp (b/g/n), dell (b), appletv (b/g/n?).

My question is what mode will the router switch into with all of these different devices active simultaneously? I already have the old airport express and it runs fine in b mode, but is constantly dropping connections if I set it to b/g. I planned to drop this and get the new router, allowing my mbp to run at n speeds, but with the wii and Apple TV being always-on type connections, if they run at slower speeds, will my network always be forced to the slower speed, or can some devices run at one mode and others at faster modes? it would be nice if the mac was running at n speed, with the others going at b or g as they could. Is this possible? Does any router do this, or do I need multiple routers? Am I totally crazy? Networking is not my strongsuit....
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Ashish

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Some can run at the high speeds, while others use the slower ones :)

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Contrary to what psychofreak ^ said, from what I understand no matter what type of wireless router you get, whatever the slowest speed connected is, say B, you'll be running everything at B. Basically, you're limited by the slowest link in the chain.

*I've been wondering how to get my AE to stop dropping the freaking connection. It's highly annoying when the music you're listening to drops out randomly. Thanks for the tip.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Airport Extreme does drop somewhat when slower devices are on the network but not to the lowest speed. In mixed mode, n devices can still achieve maximums of 130mbps which is 2X g.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Is only "n" capable of this? I say that because I've always heard that if you are running mixed mode b/g and you have a "b" device your "g" unit will only run at "b."