Can Airport Express Handle 24mbit connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soulstorm, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have an airport express, connected through a modem in my phone line. I currently have a 2mbit connection.

Airport seems to handle it well, however I am changing my connection to 24mbit. So, my question is:

Can it handle those transfer rates? Airport epxress is wirelessly connected to my PS3 and my Intel iMac 17". I want to be able to download at the fastest rate possible through my iMac, and when I play games through my PS3, I want to be able to experience the lag I would have if I used a direct connection.

What can you tell me about this?

EDIT: Also, I have an Intel iMac 17" with ATI X1600 inside... Do you know if these models support the n wireless protocol?

2. rds macrumors regular

Wireless (G) speeds can vary dramatically between devices (I don't know any figures for the Airport Express.) What I do know is, if you actually receive 24Mbps, a G device will not be sufficient.

A wireless N product would be better but unfortunately, your iMac is G and you would need to hook up a compatible N ethernet adaptor to your PS3 as that is also G.

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I receive 12 mbits, at best. Is that OK with G?

And, final question: My airport express has 3 modes of operation:

b only.
    b/g compatible.
    g only.

I have computers that will not accept g, so I have set "b/g" compatible. What is the difference between that and "g only" in terms of speed and connectivity?

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The maximum theoretical (i.e., never reached) speed of 802.11g is 54mbps. 802.11b's maximum theoretical is 11mbps.

b/g mode allows both b and g devices access, at a performance hit. The theoretical maximum for b/g (not written into the spec, of course) would be around 30mbps, with actual speeds a bit lower. It would be better to get all devices on your network to 802.11g, but if not, b/g is an okay second choice.

5. allebone macrumors newbie

Check for Specs on the net as to Apple Airport capability to handle that much routing capability. I use Airport to do my wireless, but use it in bridging mode, and have a QOS capable router handle the NAT and routing portion. I do network intense work in my line of work, so I employ serious Quality of Service to make sure I can get my full paid-for service level.

Just a comment.

6. fireloss macrumors member

I am just wondering - when I use the 802.11g setting, I cannot select anything more than 24Mbps from the drop down menu. Does this mean that the Airport Extreme Base Station is defective?