Can airport express stream audio from apps other than iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Muscle, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Muscle, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

Muscle macrumors regular

Just moved into a new apartment, invested in a set of desktop speakers and would like to wirelessly stream my music to them.

Will the Airport Express allow me to stream any audio content (Pandora, youtube videos from safari, etc) to my speakers via any one of my apple products? (iphone, ipad, mbp)

I know iTunes is a go, but would also like other options to play music.

Please help, thank you :)

2. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. So basically airfoil is still needed?

I already have a router for wifi, should I opt for the ATV2 or AE in this case?

My speaker specs

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes an airplay reciver is still needed, so aTV, airport express,or airplay enabled speakers or receiver.

without a television attached, the aTV can be a bit flakey.
    you can get the "old style" airport express for $70 in the refurb store

also with airfoil, you have the additional option of using the airplay speakers program which runs on windows, mac, linux, iOS, android, and boxee box. but you won't be able to send directly to these from iTunes, but you can send the audio from iTunes using airfoil.

4. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

A bit confused on your last paragraph.

So basically with airport express and airfoil I can wirelessly play pandora, iTunes, audio links on safari from any of my apple products?

But airport express with no airfoil will only allow me to AirPlay stuff from iTunes and iTunes only?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

itunes will send it's own audio to any airplay capable receiver.

you can also send audio from iOS to any airplay capable receiver.

airfoil will send audio from any 1 program at a time (or whole system audio) to any airplay capable receiver, in addition to those, it can send to the airfoil speakers program which runs on the list that i posted before.
    the airfoil transmitter only runs on Mac and windows.

with both iTunes and airfoil, you can sent to multiple locations at a time, all in sync with each other. (airplay from iOS only supports one at a time)

there is a couple second delay with airplay due to buffering, when using airfoil, you will notice it. so video on your computer screen, and audio coming out of the speakers will not be in sync.
    iTunes and iOS delay their screen interface to match the remote audio.

also i recommend a standalone program to play music (like streambox for pandora) that way you don't wind up sending all of your browser noises to the speakers, quite annoying if you browse to a page with ads. or at the very least, run 2 browsers, so safari only does pandora, and chrome for all your browsing.

6. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular