Can Airport Extreme (Wireless N) join Express connected to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djrobsd, Mar 22, 2010.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I have an Airport Extreme Wireless N router (the previous rev that does not have guest network), and an Airport Express Wireless N.

My cable modem is, unfortunately, not in the same place where I need my router, since I want to hook my desktop, ethernet printer, and other devices up to the airport extreme router.

So, is it possible for me to hook my cable modem up to the Airport Extreme via ethernet, and then somehow connect my Airport Express router to that to get out to the net? I want my laptop to join the router, not the Airport Express, so I can gain access to my printer and files on my server hooked up to that router while still maintaining an internet connection.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

You can use Express to extend your 'Extreme' network. This is one of the things it's designed to do.

Or, if your AEBS has a strong enough signal, you can just forgoe using the Express altogether. I don't see the reason why there would be an Express in this equation at all. :confused: Is it the 'guest' access you were talking about?

But if you connect through Express used to extend your network, you will have complete access as if you were connecting to the Extreme itself. So internet access and access to peripherals.

But again, I'm not sure why you think you need an Express added to this setup. It doesn't seem necessary to me.

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's very necessary. I have a cable outlet in the wrong place in my apartment and so the modem has to be plugged into it there, but the rest of my network lives at my desk, including a server, printer, desktop, etc... All hooked into the Airport Extreme Base Station. So, I just need the Airport Express to make my cable modem accessible without having to re-run wires across the room. The problem is I'm not sure if it will work that way. ;)

4. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, my desktop, my server (a Dlink DNS323 NAS), and my printer do not have wireless capabilities, so they need to be hard wired into a base station. ;)

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

What you would need is to set up your Extreme to join the network created by your Express and to extend that network to the wired clients. I am unsure of the specifics but you may need to set up a WDS network. I can check when I get home about configuring this setup through AirPort Utility, but in the meantime I suggest searching on WDS and AirPort.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Why can't printer, and server live next right to your AEBS which can live at the cable location while computer accesses from a distance via wifi? No need to string wires...that's the whole point of WiFi.

My cable modem is in my bedroom along with printer and HDD hooked up to our AEBS via USB.

Our three computers and iPhones all access this network wirelessly from various parts of the house....generally 30-ish ft away.

I'm STILL failing to see why you need the extra Express. :confused:

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Because his desktop is not in the same room as his modem... Your setup may work for you, but as he has stated he needs to have his Extreme in the same room as his computers, and not in the same room as his modem.

Edit: Although the OP can have the Extreme set up next to the modem and have the Express bridging the connection to the desktop. But since it will still be bridged, there really is no point in setting it up that way. The wireless computers will still be joining the network created by the Express, and the OP's intended setup will give him more flexibility in connecting wired clients.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

In AirPort Utility, you have the option to create a wireless network, participate in a WDS network, or to extend a network. I believe either of the latter will work for you. Set up your Extreme using one of those two options and check to see that it provides Internet access to clients connected to its LAN ports. If not, the other option will probably work.

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Again, this is wireless technology. The desktop computer in no way, shape or form has to be in the same room as the modem...or the networked HDDs or printer even. Why would anyone need to have a wireless router in the same room as his or her computer? WiFi is designed to work well at distances of 50, sometimes 100 feet or more.

The only reason I can see is if one prefers to have the printer next to the computer, but that's hardly an issue. If the OP wants the printer next to his computer, he or she can just attach it to the computer via USB and go into the network settings and share his or her printer with the network. I see no good reason to need the printer in the same room with the amount of times I print a month...but as you said...my setup works for me and may not work for others. BUT having the printer right next to computer is no deal breaker (attach with USB and share with network)...and I STILL don't see why 2 separate wifi routers (AEBS and Express) would be needed by the OP?

Sure, the OP WANTS to have AEBS in the same room as his computer, but it's a flawed setup since his modem is not in the same room. It's not the ideal solution and it's not how the wireless network pieces are really designed to work.

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

Unless the OP installs a wireless card into his desktop, your suggested setup will not work. If his desktop had Wi-Fi, that wouldn't be an issue.

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Didn't see that...sorry.

What's more expensive? A wireless card for the desktop PC or an Express? Might be the card route...I saw some cards online for around $50 and an Express is $100.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

He already has the Express. It is not an additional expense, whereas a wireless card would be.

13. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. It always amazes me the people on here who feel the need to force their opinions on others, and force their "Setup" down other people's throats. We all have our reasons for doing things the way we do, and as it happens, my desk is my hub - meaning that everything I want to access throughout my house is at my desk, including my desktop AND my Dlink NAS device. I want to have maximum file copy speeds between the NAS and my desktop, so having them hard wired on the router is the best bet rather then buying a wireless card for my desktop.

To me, using a wireless router for just your cable modem is a waste, it's got a 3 port gigabit ethernet hub just dieing to be used!

I got everything working by joining the airport extreme to the airport express and it's working great. :) And as an added bonus, since the Airport Express is also right where my stereo is I'll be able to use Airtunes! :)

14. skorpien macrumors 68020

Glad to hear you got it set up! And you seem to have discovered a bonus to your setup as well :p That's the great thing about Apple products, they work so well together and the setup is a breeze.