Can all 2011 imac's run Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by farmermac, Feb 28, 2012.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

So the 2011 iMacs were released before Lion, so I know the early ones can install and run snow leopard. Now im pretty sure there was a minor spec bump mid year for processors, but i think its for the Btos only. So then are all iMac's OK with Snow Leopard, even if I were to order a new BTO?

I understand the new mac's are around the corner but im pretty partial to Snow Leopard for the time being and would like to have hardware support for SL for as long as possible.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but you need the special restore disc that came with 2011 iMacs in order to use Snow Leopard on them.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could also start the iMac in Target Disk Mode and connect it to one of your 2010 Macs in your signature and use the appropriate Restore DVD (the one belonging to the model you connected the iMac with) and do a clean install of Mac OS X onto that iMac's HDD, then upgrade it to the latest version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and then disconnect the iMac and boot it for itself.
    Before you do that, maybe make a Lion Recovery Disk: Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

4. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks... I have a retail disc of Snow Leopard but it's version 10.6.0 - from when it first came out.

My late 2009 27" was able to install from it but many functions didnt work until the OS was updated. My main concern was some sort of graphics chip not working or something. Now that its not an issue, i'll probably wait for the imac update and pick up a 2011 refurbished.