Can ALL 3GS iPhones be jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Zowghi, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Zowghi macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I've been given a replacement iPhone from apple today and it has iBoot-359.3.2 and firmware version 4.0.2 I am wondering, can it be jailbroken?

According to jailbreakmatrix.com I can downgrade to 4.0.1 and then use JailbreakMe to do the job. The info on jailbreakmatrix.com says it can be done without SHSH Blobs, now I dont know what these are but im assuming as its a new iPhone, I dont have them. Every comment I find contradicts another one and im confused to if it works or not.

So... long story short. Can it be done and if so whats the best way??

Many thanks

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

All iPhone can be JB on firmware 4.0.1 or lower. Only 2G & 3G can be JB on 4.0.2. Thus, you have to downgrade on 3GS and iPhone to at least 4.0.1. And, no you can't downgrade without saved SHSH blobs.

To try todowngrade, download and run Tinyumbrella:
    1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
    2) check "Advanced Options."
    3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select 4.0.1 firmware.
    4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
    5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
    6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and firmware version you can downgrade to.
    7) Start "TSS server" and restore through iTunes with a downloaded firmware file (google) you can downgrade to in step #6.
    8) If you phone get stuck during restore, trying "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

3. Zowghi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    thanks for the advice. i am one of the lucky ones as cydia had my blobs. i am now stuck on restoring via itunes. i have this file iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore is this the right file?? if so how do i use it to downgrade. when i click restore on itunes it says its going to restore 4.0.2

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

You need to hold down the SHIFT-key (Options-key of you're on OS X) while pressing Restore in iTunes. Browse to the IPSW file you downloaded and select it

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The replacement 3GS has all the hashes saved. Obviously, it was previously jailbroken by original owner.