Can all USB and Firewire connectors be used at sametime in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Palaver, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Palaver macrumors newbie

Dear Forum,

It's in the question. I was wondering if I can use all the USB connectors, and firewire ports at once with the MBP? The reason for the question is I need to interface it with an external firewire harddrive, fire wire musical interface, and a keyboard usb/firewire controller... my MOTU 828MKII interface has a firewire input in the back so I can sync up my firewire keyboard controller via the end of that.

Most importantly, can both the fire400/800 ports be used at the same time (the two ports on the side of the MPP)? I understand that on many machines only one port can be used at a time. Usage of both firewire ports would be especially important for recording purposes... I am assuming all the usb ports can be used at once with all the firewire ports being utilized?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I need a firewire hub, what should I go with? What's the best brand and most reliable, especially for live use?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. noway macrumors regular

noway

Yes for the 2 usb ports ... now concerning the firewire ports i don't know sorry

3. Palaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone used both firewire ports at the same time? For example... an external hard-drive and a firewire musical interface?

4. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

i have used all ports at once before runs just fine but that was on a powerbook i think:confused:

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes

Absolutely. You will have no problem using all of them at once.

6. brettanderson macrumors member

Some people have posted that the firewire 800 and 400 ports share the same bus. If this is true then if you use both ports the chain will contain a firewire 400 device and the firewire 800 port will be reduced to 400 speed.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Unless your plug takes up a bit of space, yes, you can use all of them at the same time... although I'm not sure of the insides of a MBP, it seems like they should.

8. Palaver thread starter macrumors newbie

This would be very nice to clear up... anyone? And a VERY interesting point indeed sir!

9. Sopranino macrumors 6502

Absolutely! I've just come off of a classical recording session where I had the following plugged in;

1) Firewire based mixer in one port.
    2) Firewire drive in another port.
    3) DAW controller plugged in through a USB port.
    4) Unlock key dongle in another USB port.

No problems at all......

I can't positively comment on the 800/400 split on the firewire interface, although I do recall bumping into some information that did mention the fact that the 800 port will run at 400 if the other 400 is being used. (Unfortunately I can't remember where I read that.....)

By the way the computer was a borrowed new SR MBP 2.4 matte screen with a 160 GB internal disk. (my new SR MBP has STILL not arrived......)

Sopranino