Can an app be installed using iTunes without jailbreaking an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by hknight, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hknight macrumors newbie

I need a very simple app developed. I do not want to sell it in the Apple store or have it publicity available. However I want to be able to install it on any iPad using iTunes. Is this possible or must you jailbreak an iPad before you can install a custom app on it that is not registered with Apple?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

To install on *any* iPad without App Store or jailbreaking you'll need an Enterprise Developer License. It's a few hundred dollars a year, and need to supply company info to enroll. Individual people can't enroll.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

No you don't, you just need to make an ad-hoc build of the app, unless you need to install it on more than 100 devices (that's the most apple allows for ad-hoc).

You need to know the UDID (basically a long serial number) of the devices you're installing it on, then you create a 'provisioning profile' for the app. You sign the ad-hoc build of the app with that profile when you build it, then you deliver both the app and the profile to the people you want to install it. They just drag both files into iTunes and it'll install.

Apologies if that didn't make much sense, but an iOS developer will already know this and it'll make sense if you've built an app.