Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonfodor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
So I had a app/game that I got "shadow banned" for. Shadow ban means it lets you play it but it doesn't save any progress...basically makes it useless. FYI I got shadow banned for cussing out another guy (if you were wondering lol).

I had the app on both my iphone and ipad and it still works on my iphone (so I know I'm not IP banned). But I liked playing it better on my ipad because of the bigger screen.

I noticed if I search for the app in the itunes store it doesn't even show up (even if I click for iphone only) where it normally shows up. Now, I have to google the app and click the download link from the google search result. And once I download it becomes the same shadow ban...doesn't save progress.

How do I get past this? I tried deleting browsing history it didn't do anything and I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, also didn't do anything. Do I need to get a new apple ID? Do I need to get a new ipad (like did they ban my ipad device)?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When apps are deleted, not everything gets deleted. Some cache files remain hidden that you can't access. Likely an identifier was left behind in the hidden cache that IDs you the next time you install it. The only way to circumvent it is to completely wipe/restore your iPad. Isn't iOS dandy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.