Can an I Pad download Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Coronato1, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Coronato1 macrumors newbie

Im deciding wether or not to buy a laptop or I pad. I dont need too much from a computer, just be able to write some reports and print them out. Search the Internet. Thats really it. Any Answers?

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

You can't get Microsoft Office on the iPad. Yet. I have a feeling that Microsoft will eventually release their productivity suite on the iPad/ iPhone, but for now you're stuck with Apple's Pages (which is part of the mobile iWork suite). Hope this helps. Look up Pages on the App Store and see if it'll work.

3. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

iPad official :apple: printing capabilities will come in november w/ the 4.2 update (wifi or bonjour only so far in assumption)...

5. tosh.jc macrumors newbie

Just go into the App Store and search for "word processor". There are several that are capable enough of basic writing tasks. I quickly bought Pages when I got the iPad; now I'm thinking I may have been too hasty. I think there might be better word processors for the iPad, and I have no doubt that they'll grow more and more advanced as time progresses.

If Microsoft releases their Office Suite for iPad, it would be expensive as Shatner. I'd prefer to see an equivalent word processor, like OpenOffice.Org Writer. Pages simply isn't very impressive. Being a writer - and writing being my primary purpose for buying the iPad (its portability was attractive, and I love all of the other perks that come with it), I'd be interested in probing further options.

6. caubeck macrumors 6502

Writing reports is easy, the best solution is Documents To Go which allows you to compose in the Microdoft Word format. Other office suites have that capability but lack some basic features. Getting documents on and off requires either sending them (by email or to some online storage page such as dropbox) or transferring them via iTunes. Currently you can't print directly from the iPad because there's nowhere to insert printer cables, but they're working on a solution.

I use it almost exclusively for writing reports, etc. It saves me time and space.

7. Coronato1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the info. I think I will buy an I pad. Im sure they will get office at some point.

8. JulianL macrumors 65816

It depends how complicated your documents are but for most people there's no reason to hold out for Microsoft Office, there are quite a few third party apps that can read .doc and .docx (Office and Office 2007) format files directly and edit them. These apps also have an Exel-compatible spreadsheet.

Personally I think that the main contenders for the best third party Microsoft-compatible office suites are Documents To Go by Dataviz and QuickOffice by QuickOffice. They're both surprisingly good (in my opinion). I bought both but, after an update a few days ago, I'd currently say that Docs To Go is the best.

- Julian

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Printer cables? Really?

They already have a solution. Wireless printing will be released in november along with iOS 4.2

Don't hold out for office. Just get pages. It is wonderful. It does most word processing tasks, has a lot of nice templates and formatting options and can edit/export .doc files easily. I use it at work all the time.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have Pages, but the Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for iPad is a pretty good solution to be able to open and edit the MS Word files.