Can an iMac 24" from early 2008 be put into an older mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by inkybluemind, Sep 9, 2012.

1. inkybluemind macrumors newbie

Can an iMac 24" from early 2008 be put into an older man like for example the iMac G5? If so would it run Leopard which is the software I still had on it (long story but wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard at some point). But my computer just died and the repair guy said it was video card and that it would be cheaper to buy a new computer, I love my macs and realllllyyy don't want to go back to pc if I can't help it but if I have to I will. But if I use my internal hard drive from my iMac as an external hard drive will I still have my programs on there also?

2. simsaladimbamba

If I understand you right, you want to use the HDD from your 2008 iMac with an older iMac G5. If the 2008 iMac still had Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on its HDD, it will work, either when the HDD is connected externally or internally (both iMacs have an S-ATA interface).
    Firewire 400 is the interface you want to use when booting externally.

Or have I understood you wrong?

3. inkybluemind thread starter macrumors newbie

Simsaladin,

Thanks so much for the response!! That's exactly what I was asking, yes it's still running that version of leopard and also was wondering if I would be able to put it in a g5 tower internally or externally and have it work?

4. russofris macrumors regular

A PPC based Mac will not run an X86-Mac OS or applications. Your G5 is PPC. Your 2008-iMac is x86.

F

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm not sure if your 2008 hard drive will boot on the G5, either internally or externally, because the 2008 hard drive has a version of OSX installed that thinks it was installed on an Intel machine, and you will be trying to boot it on a PowerPC processor.

If you can install all of the programs you need on the G5, and copy your data over from the 2008's hard drive using an external drive enclosure, that may get you back in business.