Can an iMac be a TV screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sun surfer, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sun surfer, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

sun surfer macrumors regular

I am thinking of upgrading from my current Macbook Pro, which is never moved and which I use through my 32" HDtv, to a 27" iMac instead. If I do though, I'd like to use the iMac monitor as my tv as well and get rid of my tv (it's a small space). If it were possible I think it'd be worth the trade-off of losing 5 inches of tv size.

If possible, I'd like to know exactly what I'd need to make this work, and how well it works.

I have a PS3, a cable box/DVR and a Wii I'd need hooked up to the monitor. The PS3 and cable box uses HDMI cords while the Wii uses red/white/yellow (but I could buy an HDMI adapter for the Wii and use an HDMI cord for it instead).

If there is some way to make this happen, how well does the monitor work as a tv screen anyway? It's resolution is superior to even HDtv right? So I'd assume HDtv and Blu-ray would still look great, hopefully. And how would I set it up to switch from computer screen to tv to PS3, etc., when I wanted to change input?

Thanks!

ETA - Also, how is sound on an iMac? Would it be as good as a tv?

2. elcape macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same question, waiting for an answer too :)

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm not too sure... But the iMac 27" can be used as a monitor, so I guess if you get a TV tuner or something of the sort you can use it as a TV?

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

1. You need to do nothing for watching TV programs on the internet.

2. To watch cable TV programs, you need to buy or build a device that converts TV signals to those compatible with Thunderbolt port. Then, use a Thunderbolt cable to transport the signals to the iMac that is used purely as a monitor.

You will see that it is not probably worth the effort.

3. You can connect directly a USB Blue-ray player to the iMac.

5. elcape macrumors newbie

maybe you could you use a Kanex XD and a hdmi switcher, but i'm just guessing!!!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

He might be able to get away with that if his iMac isn't a 2011 model. If it is, then this route isn't compatible with his hardware yet.

Unfortunately, the only other option out there are products like the Elgato EyeTV HD or other such devices. The problem is that they have a 2 second or so lag, which is not ideal for gaming.

8. elcape macrumors newbie

is there any lag on the Kanex XD?

9. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

AFAIK, there's not. No one has really complained about any lag from the Kanex HD, either.

10. Acidglaze macrumors member

You could also probably look into getting a small a/v receiver. Have your PS3, Cable Box, and Wii go through the receiver and then use an HDMI to MDP adapter and feed it into the iMac. You'll need a model that can upconvert the Wii to the HDMI connection. And you would have the choice of setting up surround sound or just using stereo sound from the receiver.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

MDP will not provide input to the Thunderbolt equipped iMac 27".