Can an iPad 1 still cut it?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Spikeywan, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

A young friend of mine wants an iPad. She knows other tablets are available, but she has decided. An iPad it is.

Currently, she has enough money for a 32Gb iPad 1. I've never even seen an iPad 1, so have no idea how good they still are.

Does anyone have one? How well do they perform these days compared to an iPad 3?

Or should she continue saving until she can afford a later model?

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I in no way would purchase an iPad1 unless it's less than US$ 100 for a 32GB model. It's just slow, old and in no way future-proof. An iPad2 can be had for not much more and is a MUCH better choice in every respect.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wouldn't bother. I don't think the iPad 1 will see iOS 7, as a matter of fact, I am almost certain it will not. It is getting long in the tooth as is and I think her money would be better spent on a iPad 3. You can get a good deal on an iPad 3 today. If she needs one now (most people don't need one at all) then pick up the iPad 2. I would shy away from the iPad 1 nowadays.

4. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I wouldn't really bother with an iPad 1 even for simple web browsing as apparently they crash a lot from the low amount of ram that they have. A used iPad 2 would be much better.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't consider an iPad older than the 3rd generation at this point.

6. Spikeywan thread starter macrumors 6502

7. travod macrumors member

-uses an original iPad all the time for browsing and games-

8. kamitchell6 macrumors newbie

I purchased used iPad 1s for my three children instead of getting Kindles. They use them for web browsing, playing Minecraft, Youtube videos and Kindle. I also have and iPad 1 and love it. I primarily watch videos and play Scrabble. They may be slower but having no experience with the current models I don't know any better. Speed seems fine to me.

9. Silvereel macrumors 6502

It was good at the time, but it has not aged well. Better off springing for an iPad 2 or a Mini.

And you said she knew there were other tablets but she'd decided on an iPad... Well duh :D

10. zipster macrumors 6502

God no. I have an iPad 1 and it's awful for browsing the internet or anything else intensive. Even feedly and Flipboard crash every so often. So frustrating.

Netflix works most of the time (it has the occasional crash)... I've relegated it to a media player, of sorts.

----------

iPad 1 didn't even see iOS 6...

11. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

My iPad1 is still going, just. It does crash quite a bit, especially web-browsing but also other apps like Facebook. As above it didn't get iOS6. It's still very useful and I use it everyday but I am sort of hoping it dies so I can justify buying a new one !

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

First gens are stuck on iOS 5 and many apps are now requiring iOS 6 and that list will only grow.

I would say either to keep saving money, consider dropping to a 16GB model or even an iPad Mini.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

Can you still find games that run on it? What is the latest version of iOS that can run on it?

14. Resist macrumors 68030

I have a 64GB iPad 1 and while it's not as fast, doesn't have a retina display and other features as the newer models, it still has value for me. I mostly use it with my Slingbox, so I can watch my TV and Tivo on my home WiFi or when I'm away from home via my cell network.

15. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

iPad 1 isn't crap...

I have an iPad 1 and it has been far from what you guys are saying. I have about 3 pages of apps and it's only a 16 GB model, but it's fast. Now, compare a 1995 Toyota Pickup to a 2012 Toyota Tacoma, the 0-60 times will be much better for the newer model.

Nobody wants the iPad 1 for these reasons: (which I think aren't necessary reasons to diss the "original iPad" off the stand)

-Slow(er than the new iPads)
    -Thicker and bigger and heavier
    -Does not accept iOS 6 or 7
    -iPad 1 is out of style, makes you look like a grandmother

All above reasons are true and facts and I think it is silly to diss the iPad that Apple based the rest of them off of. As they can be much faster, and skinnier, and squat whatever, doesn't make them better. ;)

16. TedM macrumors 6502

I still have an ipad 1. Its alright. A little slow from time to time, and it doesn't play all the cool apps and games, but it gets the job done.

17. rugbygangster macrumors newbie

iPad 1 cuts it!

iPad 1 still works well, but remember to:
    - use Opera Mini as a web browser, it's very fast and stable, even with 20 tabs
    - close background apps by tapping&holding their icons in a taskbar and clicking (-)
    - disable unused Apple services, like iCloud sync, if you are using Google services