iPad Can an iPad limit its data consumption when tethered?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cubytus, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Hello there,

as I'm using my iPad tethered to my iPhone, I'd like to know if there is a way for the iPad (application, standard, jailbroken or otherwise) to limit its consumption as the iPhone does when connected to a cell tower? It seems the iPad is not aware it's not linked to a wifi network.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not unless someone has come up with an app for such.

3. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

A personal hotspot is a WiFi connection and the iPad will act as if it's connected to a WiFi network. For example, the bandwidth limitation of 100MB in the App Store will not be followed. AFAIK there is no method to limit such data usage. Another disadvantage of buying WiFi iPads and sharing the iPhone's connection is that the battery life of the iPhone is very limited comparing to that of the iPad.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

One way to help would be if safari/browsers didn't refresh their tabs constantly. But you'll have to look for the next rev of the iPad for that apparently.

5. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, the personal hotspot is a Bluetooth connection on mine. Battery life is not my biggest concern when using it as a tethered modem since it's usually plugged into the car charger. But I agree that most of the time, battery life is insufficient under even moderate app usage.

Well as the the previous poster said, I was more referring to podcasts and music streaming. The default behavior makes sense on a wifi network, but I surely don't want to start downloading 100MB podcasts over a 3G connection! And I don't necessarily sync my iPhone when a new episode is released.