Can an iPad replace my Netbook PC??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eadfrith, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Have been thinking about an iPad for a while, and now with the new retina display etc seems like a good time to go for it.

Could it replace a netbook as my main computer? The only thing that worries me slightly are how it handles files and documents. 95% of the time I use my computer for web browsing.

2. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I think an iPad would be an adequate replacement for a Netbook, but not really one for an actual computer. I love my iPad and it's very useful, but there's no way I could ever give up my MBP and use it solely. Even though your use is predominately web browsing, an iPad can't handle flash, and depending on what sort of sites you visit, this could be an issue. I say go for the iPad to see if you like it, but hold onto your Netbook in case you need anything beyond the iPad's capabilities. If you have another desktop/laptop, then I would totally ditch the Netbook and just keep the desktop/laptop and get the iPad.

There are a lot of people out there who only use an iPad for their computing needs. I don't have any links, but maybe someone else does?

3. marzxbarz macrumors member

I would keep both. There's always going to be those few web pages that you cannot access on the iPad due to the lack of Flash. Also, you'll probably run into some occasions where having multiple webpages on your screen > tabbed browsing on the iPad.

The iPad is great for casual web browsing, but not good enough to have as a standalone "computer" IMO.

4. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

As much as I love my iPad, I still think its purpose is to compliment a laptop.

I use my iPad whenever I can, forum browsing, surfing the net, even to study class notes and PDFs... My house has a netbook bought from bestbuy for about 350 on sale, while it may not be the power horse of a machine I would rather use my iPad over that any day.

iPad vs netbook, it could happen...
    iPad vs laptop, no way

5. MR1324 macrumors 6502

I don't think it can. Eventually you'll have to do something productive and you won't be able to do it easily.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Not impossible, but the main problem is that the ipad handles some functions differently from the way you might be accustomed to on a normal laptop. So you might have to relearn a new OS and even exercise a fair bit of creativity.

For example, today, I tried creating a checklist using numbers, which I plan to use to keep track of homework submissions from my pupils. However, the format I want isn't directly available. Instead, I have to copy a column from the checklist template into a new blank sheet.

Then, I realise I cannot merge cells, so I had to trim some of the longer names, and use word wrap to get them to fit nicely in their cells. And talking about importing names, I had to first save the excel file containing their details in dropbox from my school computer, open it in numbers on my ipad, then copy the names over, because there is apparently no elegant way of transferring files over.

So to accomplish something as rudimentary as copy-pasting, I have to jump through so many hoops already.

I am tempted to get iworks for my mac so I can just create them directly on my desktop and sync via icloud, but I am already using office and have no wish to spring another $60. :(

7. Eadfrith, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

Eadfrith thread starter macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

hmmm OK. Sounds like the answer is a unanimous No. :(

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You can do pretty much everything your netbook can handle on the iPad. Some apps are not free, but once you get them you're ready to go. More information on your actual usage of your netbook would help us clarify.

9. Eadfrith thread starter macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Just basic stuff really. Web browsing, eBay, photos. I think printing things can be a bit of a problem - you have to have a wireless printer?

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you play flash games or flash video then you need to keep netbook. I have Dell Mini netbook and MBP now that I have iPad so I am still thinking about giving up my netbook until I realized I might need netbook just for watching movies my MBP is 15 inches bit too big on my bed to watch movies.

11. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That or purchase an app that lets you print from your ipad to your computer (and subsequently, the printer connected to your computer).

13. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

It sounds like an iPad would fit in well with your usage. If you're interested in photography you will probably want to pick up the Camera Connection Kit so that you can transfer photos directly to an iPad.

The other question is do you have another computer besides your netbook? Unless your usage is very basic there will still be bits and pieces that you can't do or are inconvenient to do on an iPad. If you have a desktop PC as backup then that's not so much of a problem.

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It's not so much a question of replacing another device ... the question is really: does my usage model match a tablet?

My casual/personal use is a perfect match for a tablet. My professional needs require a notebook (or desktop).

There's of course some overlap since I consider email part of my professional tools and I use the iPad for a decent amount of communication ... I also use my notebook for personal video editing.

There's also the experience to consider. There's something amazing and engaging about using a thin, touch device, but there's an "effiency" to a mouse, physical KB and a 27" display.

Posted from my iPad :D

15. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

An upgrade from a netbook would be pen and paper. I've worked on hundreds of netbooks and they just suck. It's not that they aren't a cheaper alternative to a real laptop/notebook but it takes so long to do basic functions that to me it's virtually useless. If you have the time of day to wait for your data, then the netbook is fine. Most likely if you have a netbook, you aren't editing video, you aren't editing photos, you're getting e-mail slow as snails, you're not going to be doing much gaming, you're not running a browser that loads quickly at all, and you're probably not watching video on battery life. On an iPad, even on an iPad 1, this is all instant, you can access e-mails, web content, videos, music, office files, remote login, and most of your daily content. When you have an iPad 2 or higher, you're able to edit video, edit pictures, work on large db projects, and produce extremely high quality office files via iWork which just blow away the competition. I just do more and live life using an iPad vs a netbook or even a full laptop/notebook. It all depends on how you maximize your experience on the device, and with a netbook, you're always going to be missing out on something in your life.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

Since the OP didn't indicate he was doing any of these activities, none of this is remotely relevant.